500 Recent Changes in DICE Web retrieved at 05:29 (GMT)

Statistics for nop DICE Web Month: Topic views: Topic saves: File uploads: Most popular topic views: Top contributors for topic save and ...
Discussion Topics for Forthcoming Operational Meetings At the operational meeting held on the of October 2007, it was agreed that in an effort to stimulate discussion ...
Services Unit Project Hompage Archives Here you will find snapshots of the home pages of the projects managed within the Services Unit taken when the project was submitted ...
Final Project Report for Project 385 Gitlab service Background The genesis of the project lay in an RT ticket from Bob Fisher asking whether the School was currently ...
Windows 10 upgrade Final Report The main details of the project can be found on the project page There were 88 Windows MDP machines listed in the original spreadsheet ...
MPU Servers MPU servers' profile status on lcfg1, lcfg2. MPU servers' status. The machines in server rooms have the rack/row numbers in their location to make it easier ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Teaching Software 2019/20 Final Report for CompProj:506 Description This project involves eliciting all software ...
Managed Platform Unit Wiki DOCUMENTATION For help with computers, go to rArr; http://computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk lArr; This is the MPU's technical documentation ...
Rough strategy 1. Find python 2 software, dependent libraries and scripts 2. estimate porting difficulty priority 3. Search for alternatives where appropriate ...
Research and Teaching Unit Wiki ( Nihil est semper simplex ) or ( Sumus omnibus acribus addictis ) See also Unit Web General Unit Availability Day/Member ...
477 Windows 10 Upgrade This project aims to consider the implications of the upgrade to Windows 10 and then to plan the upgrades of all Managed Desktop machines. ...
Live Chat Service Final report for the #392 Live Chat Service computing project. Aim was to look at a "live chat" service, accessible from computing.help or similar ...
AT Level 7 desk spacing is good, plenty of room to move round people, take turns at sink, kettle etc. Alison: Wouldn't agree that all rooms are suitable ? Stephen ...
Actions from the Operational meetings When raised Who What Comments Deadline George Improve notifications of server room issues http ...
NikolaosDandoulakis 04 May 2020 How to Install and Configure Windows Machines for Admin Staff at Home This is a full guide on how new machines for Admin staff should ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 13th May 2020 Profile Security (402.) Alastair will close this project, moving its one remaining action (a Security Peer Review) to a new project ...
Key field purpose Package SL7 package name/version Available on Ubuntu? Is this already available for Ubuntu? Ubuntu Status Progress ...
Migration of research group websites from Plone CMS Project 388 This will be the web page for the project to migrate (research) web sites off the Plone based wcms ...
The User Support Unit Unit Guidelines SupportVisits Tally for Support Office Visits SupportMeetings User Support Meetings VisitorAccountMeeting ...
#328 Firewall Holes Procedural Automation Final Report Evaluate and implement a very simple mechanism to automate the annual audit and renewal of user requested ...
#328 Firewall Holes Procedural Automation Evaluate and implement a very simple mechanism to automate the annual audit and renewal of user requested firewall holes ...
Managed Platform Unit Meetings Cumulative project effort for active projects See MPU figures spreadsheet. Topics for next meeting Weekly Look at new ...
Final Report For Project 330 Revamp The Homepage Of Blog.inf.ed.ac.uk Aim The aim of this project was to improve the front page of the blog.inf.ed.ac.uk service ...
Gaivota KVM details Dell PowerEdge R730 4 x 6 core Xeon E5 2643 v4 @ 3.40GHz 256GB memory in the Forum. gaivotapool1 has 2TB of space on ...
girassol Dell PowerEdge R730 4 x 14 core Xeon E5 2690 @ 2.60GHz slower than the other servers but there are many more of them so we put lots of less demanding ...
www.inf.ed.ac.uk Off site Disaster Recovery Plan July 2019 This needs a review, but basically www.inf is currently skelp, www dr is currently hobgoblin, plone is ...
Release Management Procedures This page documents how, why and when to make and install the managed DICE releases. It is purely for the use of the people whose responsibility ...
Ubuntu Focal Port of LCFG Platform This project will involve porting the LCFG desktop platform to Ubuntu 20.04. It is a follow on project to https://computing.projects ...
Project 392: Live Chat Service This page is the 'project homepage' for CompProj:392. The established requirement is that we'd like some way to bridge 1. a "live ...
Discussion Items New Select PCs We now have a way of getting Windows 10 PCs to admin staff during the lockdown. We had a discussion about whether we should go for ...
Items for Discussion at the Next Support Meeting 12th May 2020 2pm on Teams Return to work 28th April 2020 2pm on Teams New Select PCs/laptops OS and ...
Support Meetings DiscussionItems 2020 SupportUnitMeeting20200428 2019 SupportUnitMeeting20191113 SupportUnitMeeting20190925 SupportUnitMeeting20190904 ...
Discussion Items Minutes Carol and Jennifer will write and publish minutes on a rota basis. PDFsam on Windows10 MDP This is now available in the Software Centre ...
Account Tidying: AFS/homepages/groupspace Project description Details of this project can be found here: https://computing.projects.inf.ed.ac.uk/478/ Related to: ...
The Services Unit A dumping ground for various useful bits of info, mainly for us, but occasionally for others. The other place to look for Service Unit information ...
Final Report : Investigate alternative DICE desktop platform (474) The aim of this project was to investigate the feasibility of porting the DICE desktop environment ...
Functional accounts for Shared mailboxes Functional email accounts are used within the school for: Professional Services administrative groups to share email account ...
Infrastructure Unit Unit home page index index reports front page Server rooms REMINDER: food and/or drink are not permitted ...
Mandolin KVM details Dell PowerEdge R740 Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6134 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 virtual CPUs 192GB memory in Appleton Tower. banjopool1 ...
Project 509 RaT Unit HTTPS Everything A sub project of https://computing.projects.inf.ed.ac.uk/#454 to migrate all Research and Teaching Unit web services/sites to ...
Project 511 Services Unit HTTPS Everything A sub project of 454 to migrate all Services Unit web services/sites to HTTPS from HTTP. This specifically does not mean ...
BeyondTrust (Bomgar) Remote Support Install the client on your machine The login URL is only accessible from within University Network (certain ranges) Full IS instructions ...
Installing Windows 10 (SDX) on MDP desktops and managed laptops for admin staff Preparation of Infrastructure Only supported hardware can be installed, see list ...
Harpsichord KVM details Dell PowerEdge R740 2 x 12 core 3.0GHz Xeon 256GB memory. at KB. harpsichordpool1 is on 2TB of local SAS disks. ...
Oyster KVM details Dell PowerEdge R720 4 x 4 core 3.3GHz Xeon 128GB memory in Appleton Tower. oysterpool1 is on 1TB of local SAS disks. ...
Support for Supporters in Informatics This is an attempt to update the old supporters page and get all documentation in one place. Account Management Account ...
Example walkthrough of KVM guest creation Create LCFG profile A sample KVM guest profile : / fargovm1.inf.ed.ac.uk / #define FIRST INSTALL #include #include ...
Managing guests using virt manager As a GUI interface, virt manager is relatively self explanatory to use. By default virt manager will only connect to the user's ...
Using kvmtool kvmtool create name myvm host remoteserver uri uri flavour template cpus number memory number bridge interface name ...
Managing a KVM host Expected audience. These instructions are intended for the manager of a KVM host. It is not expected that people will performing any of the tasks ...
Documentation on managing KVM guests WalkthroughKVMguest Example walkthrough of creating a KVM guest Configuring a machine to manage KVM guests Include the ...
Simple KVM service documentation Guests : Information on managing KVM guests Hosts : Information on managing KVM hosts Which server for a new KVM guest? If it ...
Thoughts on 403 Emphasis on self managed servers Project 403 asks for training materials to teach users about security. In this project we want to focus on users ...
Teaching Software requirements 2020/21 When this project is complete, the final report will appear at TeachingSoftware2020Report Key field purpose Course ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 22nd April 2020 Profile Security Nothing happened. DICE Ubuntu Platform Stephen has been working on adding support for Ubuntu to the pkglist ...
Service Current locations Resilience plan computing.help KB (lagun) IF backup (hulp) LCFG master (svn compile) IF (canopus) Working on making ...
Consoles Configuration notes 1. How to set up a Lantronix SLC Console Server: Informatics Forum, AT, KB 1. How to connect a machine to a Lantronix SLC Console ...
Consoles in the Forum Self managed server room NOTE: This service has been withdrawn, effective October 2018. These notes are retained for historical purposes only ...
Tips/comments on move to office365 mail Please add comments/thoughts about the move to office365. IS office365 documentation needs to be updated A "differences ...
Jabber Service We've very little docs on this, so as I come across things, I'll add them here. If the jabber service dies, or you reboot it, you need to tell ...
Clavichord KVM details Dell PowerEdge R740 2 x 12 core 3.0GHz Xeon 256GB memory. at KB. clavichordpool1 is on 2TB of local SAS disks. ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 8th April 2020 Inventory Completed and signed off. Profile Security Waiting for the code review. Alternative Desktop Platform The package ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Informatics Chat Services Pandemic Documentation It's notable that a chat service is likely to become one of the ...
Final project report for "Investigate the new centrally managed Mac desktop" Project Description Investigate the new centrally managed Mac desktop and consider/research ...
How to grant a user remote access to their Win10MDP managed desktop Instructions for support team Firstly you will need to connect to a support MDP machine yourself ...
Using Teams for remote assistance Most of the professional services staff are now using Microsoft Teams as it is useful for remote working. It can be used for chat ...
Disaster Recovery considerations for COVID 19 related incidents Specific Cluster cluster wise, we lose the forum we lose ilcc and all the individual machines ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 1st April 2020 Inventory Check the DPIA statement is linked into the project page. Profile Security Nothing happened. Alternative Desktop ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 5th February 2020 Inventory Alastair has produced the report. Any items remaining on the todo list which won't be done soon will be converted ...
Checklist for setting up new staff User self registration for services The following is relevant to all staff and research students. The user will need to do the ...
Virtual Desktop Service (xrdp) Project blog: http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/squinney/tag/xrdp/ Intervention The RDP servers need some routine housekeeping. Here's how ...
lcfg x509 with letsencrypt LCFG configuration lcfg x509 has had support for obtaining certificates from letsencrypt since version 0.1.2. The x509 component can be ...
A Wiki for DICE jottings. If you need help with IT, go to computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk. Transient PasswordPortalComments BondingProblems a log of bonding ...
Pandemic Planning Purpose The purpose of pandemic planning is to ensure that should some event render a large part of the computing staff unable to perform their ...
Jabber Client for Self manged Linux Hosts NB: These instructions were tested on Ubuntu 18.04. The settings for other releases and varieties of Linux should be similar ...
Download and install adium https://adium.im/ Launch adium and set up your account: Adium menu Preferences Accounts Add an XMPP(Jabber) ...
Jabber client for Windows There will be others, but these are the basic instructions on how to setup pidgin for Windows. Download pidgin from https://pidgin ...
Racks in the Forum server room (Correct at 11th July 2019 neilb) div.racks table {float: left;} Slot Infrastructure Rack 40 rattle 23 24 tycho ...
AT How to set up a Lantronix SLC Console Server Contents These notes describe how to configure a new out of the box Lantronix SLC unit located at AT so that it ...
Installing Windows 10 Enterprise via US Unit's MDT server in Forum. a) Connect the machine to Forum's 129.215.90.0/23 DHCP network and boot it up using the US UNIT ...
RossArmstrong 03 Mar 2020 Forum serveroom cooling failure. turned off huldra, kraken, ifev02 and gorgon. gorgon is back on, and huldra and lammasu ...
Tally of visits to support offices. Figures should be entered at 5pm Friday, and counter reset to zero Week Commencing Forum AT 16/09/19 59 ...
Emergency Shutdown procedures for GPU servers This will evolve into definitive docs for shutting down gpu servers in the event of aircon failures or other issues. ...
Installing IS Managed Mac on desktops and laptops (primarily for admin staff) Macbook laptops Laptops are automatically assigned a hostname during installation. Please ...
Services Unit Activities Following a Unit Meeting on 16th Jan, 2017, it was agreed to collect all Unit related weekly activities on one page. Meetings can still be ...
place to hang stuff about the PGR cluster IainRae 28 Feb 2020
placeholder for page about the ILCC cluster IainRae 28 Feb 2020
placehodder for information about the CDT cluster IainRae 28 Feb 2020
This is a page to hang docs about the various clusters we have more coming soon IainRae 28 Feb 2020
There are only two SSL certificates left to sort out: site done inf.ed.ac.uk, expires on 02/03/2020 (used for jabber xmpp) pp.inf.ed.ac.uk, expires ...
9 am cover: Tim (except school hols), Stephen Thursday and Friday, Alastair, Alison, Craig. Lunchtime cover: Neil, Stephen any day (except Monday), Ian, Alison ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Submit for Computing Staff This page covers computing support processes relating to the practical submission system ...
Tartarus 'quickstart' documentation Please read TartarusGlossary first Note that options can be abbreviated eg the following are acceptable ' newhost ...
Jabber: on certificate still needs to be sorted. Neil and Toby are on it. SSL Certificates expiring end of February. See X509LetsEncrypt Neil's notes on ...
/ Until blueskin tables are fixed. / table tr { text decoration: none; } table td, table th { padding: 2pt; padding right: 4pt; } AFS Partitions Please note ...
Cloned BIOS Settings The standard BIOS settings for the SelectPC are not suitable for DICE machines. Rather than go through a tedious and error prone manual process ...
Mailing Lists Creating a Mailing List. In the services unit's documentation page: http://www.dice.inf.ed.ac.uk/doc/mail/mailaliases.html#mailman Mailing Lists and ...
Quick notes on switching to Lets Encrypt certificates for HTTPS Toby's instructions about LE are at X509LetsEncrypt If you can, life will probably be simpler if can ...
This document is a DRAFT and does not reflect current School policy Storage Costs Calculations This document details the reasoning behind the charges made to research ...
This will be a repository of sample SQL queries of Tartarus $ For 2016/2017 financial year, summarise the spending (excl VAT) by category : select sum(cost), c ...
Decommissioning Machines and Drives We've have various off the cuff discussions about what should be done with decommissioned machines and hard disks, but I couldn ...
Adding Items To Inventory It is very important to add received items to inventory once all steps in ReceivingItems have been completed. A good knowledge of creating ...
Receiving Items When items arrive, we need to make sure that everything is in good condition. Also we need to check that we received what it was ordered. If items ...
Procurement Requests Summary The main role of the Computing Support Officers responsible for procurement is to help staff and postgraduate students within the School ...
Intel microcode support 2019, Nov 2019 (cached) microcode advice Nov 2019 Identifying the CPU model from the CPUID value published in the above document ...
Unallocated and junk machines Any machine (including DICE) that's not currently in use, but is still fit for use, should be put in a store room e.g. IF 2.09, IF 1 ...
Final report for "Redevelop School Inventory System" Project 269 Aim of project The aim of this project was to replace the inventory system introduced in 2008. ...
We are not getting any SCSO time. Jabber There have been issues with certificates. All is explained in detail on the service wiki page. Mail logs RT ...
.old { background: none repeat scroll 0 0 lightgrey; margin left: 1em; margin right: 3em; padding: 0.5em 1em; } A Place to Dump random useful bits ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 30th January 2020 Inventory Alastair has improved the authorization as trailed in the last meeting. He's working on the final report. Profile ...
Unknowns "I use the shared staffmail inboxes regularily, which means still authenticating to staffmail. I got the impression that if you switch to O365, you may not ...
We discussed potential CSO tasks. Changes are about to be made to the pricing of AFS group space. Final pricing hasn't yet been decided, but there is likely ...
h2 { border bottom: 1px solid black; } / this is to help differentiate projects on the print friendly version / div.twikiToc { display: none; } / hide the toc on ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 15th January 2020 Inventory Alastair tweaked the API so that it is not possible to edit information for machines without serial numbers. There ...
Teaching Software requirements 2019/20 When this project is complete, the final report will appear at TeachingSoftware2019Report Key field purpose Course ...
Forum Server Room (IF B.02) Noise Levels Measured on Thursday 9th January 2020: ACU01 ACU02 ...
Computing Executing Group (CEG) Register of security incidents We have a register of security incidents here: https://www.dice.inf.ed.ac.uk/units/CEG/Security/Register ...
A list of Services Unit machines on real hardware: Name Model Role Warranty Expiry Date Location JBOD? Notes bahookie R620 Web ...
DataStore Users can see their own allocations on ECDF Storage Manager Home: https://registration.ecdf.ed.ac.uk/storage/ CSOs can view info about the existing INF groups ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 8th January 2020 Inventory The data protection documents have been produced and accepted. It only remains to finish the final report. Profile ...
Placing an Order Purchase orders should be raised either via SciQuest or eFinancials.There is on line training for both systems which must be completed before full ...
CompProj:465 : Teaching Software 2018 / 2019 Final Report Description This project involves eliciting all software requirements for taught courses 2018/2019, and ...
Improve Standard Web Configuration LCFG Headers Project description Improve Standard Web Configuration LCFG Headers. If they can be used as is on all web servers ...
Forum Self managed Server Room (IF B.01) Noise Levels Measured on Thursday 9th January 2020: 90 dB ...
Forum Self managed Server Room (IF B.Z14) Noise Levels Measured on Thursday 9th January 2020: 83 dB 87 dB 83 dB 80 dB ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 5th December 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. Profile Security Just need to write up final report, planning to get that done before Christmas ...
Course Work Data The data on course work in the School database is entirely taken from EUCLID/APT. Local course work records should only be created, if necessary ...
Introduction TartarusGlossary, TartarusQuickStart Workflow How to record serial numbers for machines with multiple serial numbers Command line interface ...
Dell System Update (dsu) Dell System Update or dsu automates the updating of firmware on Dell servers. It works on 12G, 13G and 14G, servers. Note that this means ...
Installation The below covers typical first install information which might be relevant in all circumstances, however in most types of server installation there should ...
Pandemic Top Five for Hypatia (School Database) There is a lot of general documentation (including disaster recovery stuff like server re installation and upgrade ...
A working example on how to delete LCFG profiles, either when disposing of equipment or converting a DICE machine to self managed. Replace "briggitenau" with your ...
With the demise of python 2, we'll need to investigate upgrading mailman to work with Python 3. There may be reduced functionality, but that's unlikely to affect us ...
Hypatia Portal Server Installation Installing a Hypatia Portal server is straightforward, can be done 'from scratch' without access to the old server, and consists ...
Completion Report Map of the Taught Student's Labs Final report for the #405 Map of the Taught Student's Labs computing project. This project was to review and further ...
Local EdWeb distribution web.inf.ed.ac.uk We are running a local copy of the EdWeb distribution, which is more or less a copy of the EdWeb (Drupal 7 with IS skinning ...
Services which have not been completed in the current pandemic exercise Service Awaiting School DB squinney Wiki rwb Name Outstanding ...
Final Project Report for Project 412 Migration of backup services to TiBS Version 3 Introduction This project was originally started in early 2018 to cover the ...
Final Reports for Completed Projects Project ID Name / Final Report 2 AFS file system 3 Production Cosign Service 7 Improved LCFG Distribution ...
Final Report for Project 378 Introduction of Cloud Printing to Informatics Introduction In summer 2016, most of the printers available to users of the undergraduate ...
Hadoop Clusters: Care and Feeding If you're not computing staff, you've reached the wrong page sorry! Read computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk/hadoop cluster instead. ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Production Hadoop Service Research and Teaching Unit Final Report for CompProj:420 Description The aim of the project ...
Edit your local copy of $CVSROOT/avail to grant the user access to selected part of the inf tree as per http://www.dice.inf.ed.ac.uk/doc/web/wwwinfnotes.html#avail ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } PROJECT TITLE Final Report for CompProj:NNN Description Customer Deliverables Time The project took NN weeks FTE ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } PROJECT TITLE Final Report for CompProj:NNN Description Customer Deliverables Time The project took NN weeks FTE ...
KVM Server Scheduled Downtime Planned downtime for MPU KVM servers is announced on this page. It won't go ahead until affected units have indicated their agreement ...
The DICE Hadoop cluster Please see HadoopCareAndFeeding.
Final Report : Review Security of LCFG Profile Access (402) This project was split into two main areas of work support for secure fetching of the LCFG XML profiles ...
This page has been merged into HadoopCareAndFeeding.
Managed Platform Unit projects: Current Pending Completed #CurrentProjects Current Projects Redevelop School Equipment inventory show, home page ...
Procure PGR GPU Cluster Final report for the #472 Procure PGR GPU Cluster computing project. This was requested by CSG and Director of Research who also provided initial ...
Responding to Subject Access Requests (SARs) The following steps should all be followed to respond to Subject Access Request : in this example, 'ascobie' is the individual ...
RT Best Practice Triggers When a ticket is created an automated message goes to the requestor giving them the ticket number and an email is also sent to the ...
From:Unidesk I181015 1879 The outlook autocomplete and GAL are not linked and its not possible to link these. a users autocomplete is updated each time a email is ...
How to upgrade and/or reboot a KVM server. How to upgrade the OS on a KVM server without messing everything up. If you're also upgrading firmware, include the instructions ...
On line exam procedure checklist NOTES / CORRECTIONS: These instructions should be signed off for each paper of each exam e.g. mock needs its own checklist ...
Racks in the KB server room GPU Rack 0 Rack 0 Rack 1 Rack 2 Rack 3 Usage Switch: gpu0.kb.net(HP ProCurve 2900) landonia17 ... landonia10 Slot Usage ...
Server Power Data This page documents GPU and other power data. (figures given in brackets are with 1 redundant power supply ( ) removed.) server power supply ...
Exam Dates and Details RT:96265 Date Time Room(s) Exam Lecturer CSO in charge C(S)O helpers Comments Forum Desk Wed 20th Nov ...
IF RAID cards are in peppercorn and gresley gresley created 14 x 2.1TB AFS partitions, and 2 x 1TB NFS partitions (RAID 10). peppercorn ...
Computing Projects meeting The agenda for the next meeting can be found at https://computing.projects.inf.ed.ac.uk/meeting/ (formerly DICE Project Development Meeting ...
Web Wiki Home Changes Index Search Meetings CEG DevelopmentMeeting Computing Projects Technical Discussion Units ...
DPISa for services managed by the Services Unit We have an action from CEG to create DPIAs for all the services we provide before the Christmas break. These DPIAs ...
RFE and version control to see all rfe maps: rfe rfemaps How to see the version changes of rfed files? for rfe dns/inf: ssh on to dutoit cd /disk/home/dutoit ...
Duty Allocation FAQ General information on managing the Duty Allocation process in the School Database (Hypatia). Notes The "Public Notes" are made visible on all ...
Editing Admin Principals Please ONLY FOLLOW these instructions: https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/viewauth/DICE/AFSAdminUids Run /usr/kerberos/sbin/kadmin This produces ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 20th November 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. Profile Security Profile fetching using GSSAPI became the default this week. Mostly this ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 13th November 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. Profile Security Still planning to switch clients to GSSAPI authentication next Monday. Alternate ...
Package Repository Mirroring The various package repositories (e.g. SL7, SL6, epel) are automatically mirrored each night by a cron job which runs on the packages ...
Discussion Items AV Training Carried over from last meeting: Alastair was asking for clarification on what we want to know. Nick, Mohammed, Adam and Carol to attend ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 6th November 2019 Inventory No activity. Profile Security From Monday 18th November, machines will use GSSAPI to authenticate when fetching ...
AT server room main server racks population Rack 2 Rack 1 Rack 0 Slot Machine Comments 40 39 Cable guide 38 Switch: atb1.at.net (HP ProCurve ...
Look at the gitlab cert Neil fixed this. Fix xerox info and add it the new utils wiki page Ross. Done. Updated the script to handle the new printers ...
Jubilee (KVM server for RAT Hadoop testing) Jubilee is an antiquated KVM server which has been revived to help out with Hadoop cluster testing. If you're not Chris ...
Banjo KVM details Dell PowerEdge R740 Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6134 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 virtual CPUs 192GB memory in Appleton Tower. banjopool1 ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 24th October 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. Profile Security Nothing happened. Alternate Desktop Platform $ Schema changes : Stephen has ...
Install the new JBODs and cards. Evaluate how long data shuffling might take. Are we best scheduling lots of downtime, or shuffling data to minimise downtime? Ross ...
Project 364 School EdWeb I started looking at EdWeb in December 2014, and actually working on what became web.inf in Jan 2015. Proposed it as a project in August ...
Teaching Software requirements 2018/19 The project is now complete see TeachingSoftware2018Report Key field purpose Course Course Code Semester ...
Restores from TiBS The backup server is pergamum.inf.ed.ac.uk which has the alias of backups.inf.ed.ac.uk Always do this when connected to backups.inf.ed.ac.uk before ...
Creating AFS Group Space There doesn't seem to be an existing document on creating AFS group space. So I thought I'd note down what I did to create some. Note at present ...
Nexsan ATAbeast/boy Hardware There is an old page regarding the Nexsan hardware, which you might want to check for differences, but this page is far more up to date ...
Outline of Exam Procedures This page aims to give a quick reference to support's role in setting up and running on line exams. It does not supercede the RAT unit ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Laboratory Examination Procedure Note: Staff involved in supporting a Laboratory Examination should also read: ...
Account Management Account Creation Account creation is now an automatic process. In order to create an account there has to be a database entry with a UUN. The ...
To allow automatic updates of distro packages specified in options headers it is important to use the correct profile.packages resource. $ Packages from distro ...
Amarela KVM details This server is for hosting student project VMs. Put your student project VMs here. Dell PowerEdge R720 4 x 6 core 3.5GHz Xeon ...
Final Report: Update Platform to SL7.6 (471) LCFG Level As with previous minor upgrades to SL7 the work to update the LCFG level headers and generate the new package ...
Azul KVM details Dell PowerEdge R730 4 x 6 core Xeon E5 2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz 128GB memory in the Forum. azulpool1 is the KVM storage pool. ...
DICE Bash environment RAT and MPU Unit share responsibility for the bash environment on DICE. We customise it from stock SL7 in a few ways: bashdefenv link ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 17th October 2019 Inventory No activity. Profile Security Machines on the develop release are now authenticating their secure profile fetch ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 3rd October 2019 Inventory Nothing happened Profile Security Nothing happened Alternate Desktop Platform The apt component has been reworked ...
Getting a Mac to use the DICE Infrastructure This page is now very old. To find out about using DICE services from more recent versions of MacOS go straight to http ...
Wordpress Nuggets Little bits that may help with problems with a Wordpress site. Site stuck in maintenance mode Sometimes (so far it has only ever been when updating ...
Options when providing a WordPress site We seem to be getting more and more requests for WordPress based sites. Here are the 3 basic options we can currently provide ...
How to add self managed machines as TiBS clients Now that we are offering the facility to back up self managed machines via TiBS, support should now be receiving requests ...
EdWeb Pandemic Docs We only have one live EdWeb distribution site, web.inf.ed.ac.uk. The only common tasks are applying updates, be it feature updates or security ...
Tighten up Fail2Ban on smtp.inf CGI issues identify those not in use and how long it would take to sort the rest. CGIs are present on www.inf, www.cstr, groups ...
Building Packages using mock The recommended approach for building RPM packages for DICE SL7 machines is to use PkgForge. This guarantees that the packages are rebuildable ...
Discussion Items Passwords It is now possible to send a password to a cloud printer and allow another user to collect it by using the recipient flag. The password ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 25th September 2019 Inventory Alastair has been working on the documentation. A few more minor features have been implemented. ...
Admin Notes for Log Cabin The log cabin service is configured via the dice/options/cabin.h header, to allow testing and use of the software without the need to install ...
CRITICAL SHUTDOWN To shut down servers at a site: critical shutdown level low medium high place AT IF JCMB Give both a level and a place . You can rehearse ...
Final report for project 362 SL7 DICE servers upgrade This project is tracked at https://computing.projects.inf.ed.ac.uk/#362 . An archive of project materials ...
Discussion Items Rota (Jennifer) UniDesk training Some people missed the training. Those who went felt they didn't actually learn much as was aimed at beginners ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 18th September 2019 Inventory The manager of an item is now set from the sysinfo.manager LCFG resource for DICE machines. It might be better ...
Tartarus client report Client side Every DICE system runs /usr/lib/tartarus/bin/clientreport at boot time and periodically (currently twice a day) thereafter. This ...
Item is delivered, either partially or in whole New orders file created with rfe orders/{orderno} . Each file must adhere to the OrderFileFormat. An order file example ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 22nd November 2017 Inventory No activity since the last meeting. LCFG Client Refactoring Stephen has been tidying up odds and ends: ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 6th December 2017 Inventory We would like to be able to feed some resource information back to the inventory for generating reports. In particular ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 13th December 2017 Inventory Chris has contributed a clientreport Management module which detects BMCs and DRACs and their firmware versions ...
This Week Alastair Inventory project continue working through TartarusWorkFlow Document clientreport (eg how to add modules) ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 13th September 2017 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring The scripts for testing the client using a large set of XML profiles ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 16th August 2017 Inventory Support for KVM guests has been completed including the necessary changes for kvmtool to register new guests. There ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 14th February 2017 Inventory The MAC support has been finished in the REST API and the ii tool. Alastair has now begun work on the API test ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 18th July 2017 Inventory Alastair has been working on adding a simple web interface for querying the inventory. It uses the same Catalyst code ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 6th June 2017 Inventory The ii query command now supports specifying multiple fields for output using the fields command line option. Alastair ...
MPU Meeting 12th April 2017 LCFG Client Refactoring The context support is now finished and documented. Stephen has moved onto the packages support which is now well ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 1st November 2017 Inventory Alastair has been polishing Tartarus ready for launch: use of a tartarus account instead of root Rationalising ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 31st May 2017 Inventory Apache authentication is now done using GSSAPI. Alastair has added API support for aliases and for virtual machines ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 7th February 2017 Inventory Alastair has been working on MAC address support for the API. We had a discussion about how to deal with the locations ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 28th February 2017 Inventory Alastair has the authentication for the conduits working, and the conduits are now run regularly from a cron job ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 28th March 2017 Inventory Alastair is still working on the test suite, now concentrating on SQL comparisons. He's been developing a procedure ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 15th November 2017 Inventory A checkhost command has been added to ii which can be used to check if a hostname is already being used. Alastair ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 6th December 2016 Inventory Alastair has been implementing more of the sub commands of the inventory tool ii . The inventory now gets all ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 4th May 2017 Inventory ii query can now pull out the hostname field which makes it useful for the exam lockdown scripts. George has ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 2nd August 2017 Inventory Alastair has improved the API for the web interface. He has now started working on finishing support for KVM guests ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 13th June 2017 Inventory The wandering time report is now sent from the mp unit address to cos. Alastair has now set up backups for Tartarus. ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 8th March 2017 Inventory Alastair is continuing to work on the test suite, he is gathering a bundle of realistic test data. MPU SL7 The new ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 27th September 2017 Inventory Alastair has been tidying code and adding pod documentation. He's added a new script which updates hostnames from ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 17 January 2017 Inventory No activity. MPU SL7 $ computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk : Alastair has an SL7 server ( lagun ) just about ready to ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 22nd December 2016 Inventory Carol and Lindsey have been testing the ii tools and have provided some feedback. Chris has tested the API and ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 18th April 2017 Inventory $ Location sync : The location sync code has been modified to handle George's new data format. Handling location ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 24th January 2017 Inventory Nothing happened. MPU SL7 $ computing.help : We have discovered a problem with journald on lagun , for some reason ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 24th November 2016 Inventory Alastair has added POD documentation for the various ii commands. He has been adding more commands (and documenting ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 11th October 2017 Inventory Nothing much happened. LCFG Client Refactoring The core packages are now in the develop release and updaterpms ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 6th September 2017 Inventory Alastair has been working on code quality improvements and on bringing man pages up to date. He intends to complete ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 8th November 2016 Inventory Alastair has finished adding validation (as mentioned last time). Field names in the schema have been made ...
Inventory redevelopment project home page (Project 269) $ Review project (2012) : 146 Inventory Improvements $ Consultation (Aug 2013) : Schema diagram, Schema ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 24th May 2016 Inventory The client report code has been split out into a separate package to avoid having to update everything each time a report ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 3rd August 2016 Inventory Alastair has been using the new inventory API for the latest insurance valuation. This has been a good practical test ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 18th August 2016 Inventory Alastair has improved the documentation for the REST API. There are now examples. Please try it out and let him know ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 27th September 2016 Inventory No recent activity. There haven't been any responses to the API. Please try it out and let Alastair know how you ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Tartarus API (prototype) The Tartarus API can be used for querying and updating information on a item (desktop PC, ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 7th June 2016 Inventory Alastair has been investigating Catalyst using a local install, as a demonstrator he has got a simple part of the REST ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 30th June 2016 Inventory Alastair has finished packaging the Catalyst modules. He has also finished designing the RESTful API see TartarusRESTAPI ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 19th July 2016 Inventory Nothing happened due to holidays. LCFG Client Refactoring $ Name : Package name changed to "lcfg core". $ Documentation ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 31st May 2016 Inventory No activity. LCFG client refactoring No activity. SL7 server base The proposed solution to our dying DNS problem is ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 11th August 2016 Inventory Alastair has continued to work on the REST API. It is now possible to update nearly all possible fields, only disposal ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 25th August 2016 Inventory Alastair has publicised the API, this includes examples using curl and Perl/LWP. Chris would like to wrap the Dell ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 25th October 2016 Inventory Alastair has still not had any responses regarding his request for testing of the REST API. The support for getting ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 17th May 2016 Inventory Alastair has been experimenting with JSON and SQL. Thanks to that experience he has slightly restructured his ClientReport ...
How to install a DICE machine BIOS settings Enter BIOS (usually F10) Take a note of the mac address from the Advanced System information Change the ...
Glossary $ item : An individual item, usually equipment, that has been obtained through some route (usually purchase). The vast majority of items are introduced ...
This seems a duplicate of MovingWires, so go there instead
Moving machine to a different wire without a reinstall We seem to have more than one set of instructions for this! Try following the instructions at MovingWires.
MPU Meeting Tuesday 28th May 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Profile Security Nothing happened. Still waiting on SL7.6 roll out. Need to start writing up ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 6th March 2019 Inventory No progress, except that Alastair has been thinking about doing an initial clientreport run on new machines, including ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 28th August 2019 Inventory Alastair has applied the patches from Stephen's review of the Tartarus code. Some weird behaviour was found involving ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 21st March 2019 Inventory Done: You can now search logbook entries for instance, to get a list of all the machines which have had a certain ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 17th April 2019 Inventory The clientreport is now reporting on GPU cards. Alastair has been tidying the code and going through perlcritic reports ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 13th March 2019 Inventory Alastair has been investigating using the LCFG installer patch mechanism to provide a simple solution for querying ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 20th June 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Profile Security All SL7.6 machines are now fetching LCFG profiles over https. The next step ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 7th May 2019 Inventory Alastair looked at decommissioning ordershost but it still hosts the "kvmreport" KVM servers status page. This ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 27th February 2019 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Profile Security Some problems were found with signalling to rdxprof that a server acknowledgement ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 12th June 2019 Inventory Nothing to report. LCFG Profile Security Machines on the develop release are now getting their profiles via https ...
This Week Alastair Inventory project Documentation end user continue working through TartarusWorkFlow Documentation ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 24th July 2019 Inventory The tartarus role field is now populated, via clientreport , from the LCFG resources profile.group and ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 11th September 2019 Inventory Alastair fixed a bug whereby the system hadn't alerted anyone to the fact that the supplier reports (from Dell ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 21st August 2019 Inventory Nothing this week. LCFG Profile Security Next week, LCFG client GSSAPI will be enabled for machines on the develop ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 13th February 2019 Inventory The second half of the discussion was held Alastair has notes of it, which he'll circulate. These points in particular ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 16th May 2018 Inventory Tartarus has gone live and the old system is now in read only mode. We still need to update the location of the lcfg ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 6th February 2019 Inventory The handling of the location information has been changed. When a manual location is set the time will also now ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 21st November 2018 Inventory No activity. Virtual desktop No activity. LCFG profile security Stephen has been looking at file permissions ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 20th June 2018 Inventory Alastair has modified the script to mail the kit lists to people for the laptop audit. The fields option ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 4th July 2018 Inventory No activity. Virtual Desktop A user has a weird problem with ps. The plan is to move the staff server from NX to RDP ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 11th July 2018 Inventory The headers for the LCFG profile were only being generated for DICE machines, they will now be done for all systems ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 28th March 2018 Inventory Alastair has added cosign authentication for the html view, he has also dropped the unauthenticated access to the ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 18th April 2018 Inventory Nothing. User Security Training Nothing. Virtual Desktop Not much progress (it's mostly done). LCFG Profile Security ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 14th November 2018 Inventory Nothing happened as Alastair was away. Virtual Desktop Chris has spent some time famliarising himself with cgroups ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 25th April 2018 Inventory Nothing. User Security Training Nothing. Virtual Desktop Nothing. LCFG Profile Security Stephen has continued ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 21st February 2018 Inventory With GDPR in mind, should we be making it possible for anyone to find out about machine allocations and purchase ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 30th October 2018 Inventory The main task before project completion will be to finish the documentation. Alastair will also organise a meeting ...
This Week Alastair Inventory project continue working through TartarusWorkFlow Document clientreport (eg how to add modules) ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 17th October 2018 Inventory The live tartarus service has been moved to the Forum, this was a useful test of the process of restoring from backup ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 1st August 2018 Inventory The hosts' inventory headers are now synching correctly to the LCFG master thanks to Stephen. Re the problem ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 12th June 2018 Inventory There's no need to implement ii dispose as disposals can be handled by ii edit . The lcfg generated inventory ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 9th January 2019 Inventory No activity. Virtual desktop No activity. LCFG profile security The security work on the logserver will become ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 9th May 2018 Inventory Nothing. User Security Training Nothing. Virtual Desktop Nothing. LCFG Profile Security An updated installer ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 22nd August 2018 Inventory The HP machine data feeds (both old and new) appear to be incomplete which means we cannot always map the MAC address ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 27th September 2018 Inventory IS appears to have better data on HP computers than we have. Alastair plans to speak to someone in IS to find ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 14th February 2018 Inventory Chris is working on a client report module for disks and RAID controllers. User Security Training Chris has reorganised ...
MPU meeting Wednesday 7th February 2018 Inventory It now works with IPv6. See the Operational section for more detail. LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing this week ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 31st January 2018 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring The new v4 client will go out to all office desktop machines as part ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 18th January 2018 Inventory Putting the new inventory system into service has been delayed for several reasons. One was that disposal had not ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 3rd November 2015 Inventory Alastair has created an ordersync Perl module for syncing orders files into the inventory DB. There is now also a ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 10th November 2015 Inventory The testing suite has now been brought together and tidied up. Alastair has been looking at regenerating ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 19th April 2016 Inventory Chris has been looking into creating modules for the new client report which will provide details of the various hardware ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 23rd December 2015 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring The context handling support for processing components and resources ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 19th November 2015 Inventory Alastair has written a script for importing the JSON data from the clients. The headless clients were showing errors ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 15th December 2015 Inventory To process incoming email reports from suppliers containing list of MAC addresses, serial numbers and suchlike ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 12th January 2016 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring Stephen has written more of the API documentation. When finished, he'll ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 15th March 2016 Inventory Alastair has been looking at the code for the suppliers reports. LCFG Client Refactoring Added support for finding ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 26th April 2016 Inventory Alastair has added transactions to ordersync. He's now looking at adding timeouts to prevent multiple syncs running ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 26th January 2016 Inventory Nothing happened this week. LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened this week. SL7 Server Base This week we continued ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 31st March 2016 Inventory Regular automated email reports from some suppliers are now being automatically processed and the data incorporated ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 29th September 2015 Inventory Alastair has been looking at using the jsonb support in PostgreSQL 9.4, sadly our version of the DBIx::Class module ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 20th October 2015 Inventory Alastair has finished deploying the new order processing code. Alastair and Mohammed took the opportunity to tidy ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 2nd February 2016 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened. SL7 Server Base Stephen will finish the network device ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 1st March 2016 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring Some work has been done on the package handling, this is now pretty much complete ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 9th February 2016 Inventory Nothing happened this week. LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened this week. SL7 Server Base Stephen has changed ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 15th September 2015 Inventory Alastair's looking into PostgreSQL 9.4. LCFG Client refactoring Stephen has spent quite a lot of time learning ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 10th May 2016 Inventory Alastair has been working on moving the inventory code onto SL7 and upgrading to PostgreSQL 9.5. This has given him the ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 19th January 2016 Inventory Nothing happened. LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened. SL7 Server Base The H200 raid controller is now supported ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 8th March 2016 Inventory No activity. LCFG Client refactoring The C library is almost finished the XML reader section now gives sensible errors ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 29th January 2014 Inventory Chris and Stephen will read TartarusWorkFlow for next time. Virtual DICE No activity. LCFG Client Refactoring ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 1st September 2015 Inventory The orders parser has been tidied up, and it's about to go live. Alastair has been working on the clientreport ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 11th March 2014 Inventory Alastair has incorporated Chris's comments into TartarusWorkFlow. Stephen has no more comments. Virtual DICE Toby has ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 14th January 2014 Inventory Alastair added more to the flow and went through it at a user meeting. Most of it met with approval and delight but ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 5th May 2015 LCFG client refactoring Nothing this week. Inventory Alastair has modified the work flow, but it needs more work. The ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 14th July 2015 LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened. Inventory The orders parsing code is on test, using a different rfe map. Mohammed has ...
MPU Meeting Friday 29th May 2015 LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened. Inventory Alastair has finished the new parser for orders data. He has tested it but it ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 23rd July 2015 LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened Inventory Chris and Alastair met with Graham last Friday to discuss the theon conduits ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 18th August 2015 Inventory Chris has reviewed the parser code, he found a few issues with the regular expressions which have been fixed. He also ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 9th June 2015 LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened. Inventory Nothing happened. It would be useful for the inventory to include data on the ...
This Week Alastair Order a spare 600GB disk for waterloo (hot spare) Ask George what does the TXretransmit value mean for switch connections ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 8th September 2015 LCFG Client Refactoring More work has been done on the new packagelib. There are now functions for reading and searching rpmlist ...
MPU Meeting Wednesday 22nd January 2014 Inventory More work has been done on the inventory workflow document, this has changed considerably so needs reading again ...
This Week Alastair Order a spare 600GB disk for waterloo (hot spare) Ask George what does the TXretransmit value mean for switch connections ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 4th August 2015 LCFG Client Refactoring Nothing happened. Tartarus Alastair has written up the meeting he had with Graham and Chris. Alastair ...
MPU Meeting Thursday 28th November 2013 Inventory Alastair has been rewriting the flow document. This and other details can also be found on the inventory project ...
This Week Alastair Inventory project continue working through TartarusWorkFlow complete new order file processing code and deploy ...
MPU Meeting Tuesday 28th April 2015 SL7 The project has been signed off. Any further work related to SL7 will be operational or misc devel. LCFG Client Refactoring ...
This is the current (July 2015) documentation for the order file format. The order file is a text file with a number of colon separated key/value pairs, one per line ...
Legacy Inventory data prior to May 2018 A read only snapshot of the old Theon based inventory is available for query using the old 'invquery' command and the 'Legacy ...
Tartarus supplier reports The primary function of the Tartarus supplier reports is to automatically determine the MAC addresses of PCs purchased from the SelectPC ...
Switching a Machine to Self Managed This is a guide to everything which needs to be done on a machine before it can be self managed by a user. BIOS The administrator ...
Automatic Reboot on DICE machines Summary Including this in a DICE machine's profile: #include will make the machine start a reboot process if the updaterpms component ...
Nope. Sorry. Vermelha is no longer a KVM server. Find out more about the current KVM servers at SimpleKVMDocs.
Management of Virtual DICE (This page is for computing staff. If you want to install Virtual DICE on your computer here for help.) The configuration of Virtual DICE ...
colour meaning hostname Already done hostname Never being done hostname No date set for upgrade hostname Date set for upgrade ...
How do I find out what roles a person has? Use the roles command. e.g. roles v username The roles command reports on all the roles a user possesses. Using ...
Forum Server Room Racking In an effort to keep the Forum Server Room layout reasonably neat and the machines located there maintainable, we want to insist on some ...
Note this is not the submission system "submit": this is describing the Honours and MSc project reports/dissertations and project materials. User facing documentation ...
Submit Requirements A list of reasons given by teaching staff to preserve submit for their courses during session 2019/20. These should be used to help guide what ...
Frontline Support Role Man the Forum support area (am and pm) and AT support office (pm). AT will be manned all day at beginning of semester only. Check ...
Research and Teaching Unit Spending Plan 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 Spending plan for the Research and Teaching unit for financial year 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22. This ...
Possible MPU Server Purchases, 2019 22 Back to MPUServerBuying2018to21. Last year's assumptions: We can use virtual machines for non critical "slave" roles. ...
Surm: Care and Feeding Note that this page is currently being developed contact iainr #64;infREMOVE THIS.ed.ac.uk for more information. This page covers the operation ...
Theon/Prometheus API This is a formal definition of what Prometheus should receive in the feed of data from Theon. Views Theon provides three views that can be queried ...
Infrastructure Managed Platform Unit /MPU2019T1report.pdf report Research and Teaching report Services report User support report, stats ...
Projects Submissions Improvements Just a placeholder to cover all the requested improvements to the projects submissions system. webmark minf /ug4 submitted comments ...
How to Generate GPG Keys This process is mostly based on the guidance provided at https://blog.tinned software.net/create gnupg key with sub keys to sign encrypt ...
h2 { border bottom: 1px solid black; } / this is to help differentiate projects on the print friendly version / div.twikiToc { display: none; } / hide the toc on ...
Replacing a failed or failing Dell server disk Here's how to replace a failed or failing disk on a Dell PowerEdge server with a MegaRAID disk controller (which is ...
Bitlocker on MDP Machines. Bitlocker on desktops. Laptops do this automatically upon install Bitlocker Wiki Retrieving the encryption key JenniferOxley ...
Services Unit July 2019 Power Work Things we want to do while the power is off, or just after it comes back, to the Forum Server Room. move gresley (to rack 4 ...
In emergency Contact colleagues email, chatroom, phone (work and mobile). Remember any or all of these may be down. Shut down lots of servers. Find out what software ...
Forum server room UPS related power work, July 2019 This page is intended as a place to collect together detailed Unit expectations regarding the UPS related power ...
Full disk warnings on DICE machines A small script runs every four hours on DICE machines. By default it warns if the root partition is more than 95% full. The warning ...
Introduction Troubleshooting account issues in Prometheus is usually a case of checking the information held within prometheus itself to see if anything is preventing ...
Forum Power Work 2019 Affected Services Unit Machines Just a raw list of all the services unit machines in the Forum Server Room (VMs and physical) # WEB arachne sweb ...
pre, code { font size: 120%; color: #101090; } Latex RPMS latex.local.informatics Holds the latex classes that are used on DICE. Generally you will only need ...
If a machine (usually a server) doesn't have MATLAB added by default you can do this by adding the line #include to the profile, then running om updaterpms run once ...
Prometheus Details https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/PrometheusOverview https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/PrometheusDailyManagement https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/PrometheusLifecycle ...
Daily management of prometheus This document summarises what daily management prometheus requires. Keep an eye on the following: Prometheus conduit loop. The prometheus ...
This document summarise prometheus lifecycle what it does, how it works and how to query it and modify its behaviour. Some of this information is included elsewhere ...
Printer Supplies IF printers. Ticket to Mohammed for restock Toner Cartridge Model Printers CC364A HP P4015 South West pillar block, reception ...
AT server room floor space usage power feed usage At 2.7.2019: Informatics floor space usage R0 R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 ...
SAN Stuff I think we need a place to grub together useful nuggets about accessing/interrogating SAN attached hardware. Why not here as a starting point? We probably ...
Services Unit services using staff role Action from meeting 27/3/2019 Services unit services that use literally the "staff" role (not entitlements granted by the role ...
Neil's observations about "our" entitlements in the staff role, and what could be removed/moved. Operational meeting action 26/06/19. REMOVE Role/Entitlement ...
included from ServicesUnitCurrentTasks Task Person Added Done longjob improvement suggestion RT 88520 Craig 23/4/2018 update quotas ...
Tartarus server scripts. The Tartarus server scripts live in /usr/lib/tartarus/bin script frequency function clean old report info manual Deletes ...
The man pages for the various 'ii' commands are the definitive documentation for those commands. $ man ii : returns a list of the various ii commands $ man ...
Load Shedding for UPS replacement works, June July 2019 As explained in the server room UPS upgrade programme blog article, we need to shed about 20% of the current ...
Kernel Samepage Merging (KSM) This has been around for some years. It's a way of saving memory on KVM servers by sharing it between VM processes for instance when ...
Discussion Items AT level 4 labs renovation Gordon and Carol are working on clearing level 4 of our kit. Another Uni is getting the flip desks. They might take the ...
Managed Platform Machines Licences we have Adobe Acrobat X 7 licences 10 installed. Adobe Acrobat XI 10 licences 2 installed Adoce Acrobat XI 5 licences ...
The Xerox MFDs name SN Model Location Cups Queue Appleton Tower Student Labs acadia 3353458565 Xerox WorkCentre ...
Activities Main priority this week is set up the new MD1400. Move nuggle from AT and replace lammasu in the forum. Ticket into IS about various problems ...
Investigate the new centrally managed Mac desktop Project description Investigate the new centrally managed Mac desktop and consider/research whether it would be ...
Infrastructure planning for GPU procurement, 2019 Contents 1. Expected equipment 1.1 Compute nodes 1. Definitely 10 nodes and possibly another 3 1. Each ...
Pandemic info for Hadoop This is a quick and dirty pandemic guide, presenting a greatly abbreviated version of the information in HadoopClusters. If this page doesn ...
Updating the content of the Forum touchscreens At the moment (May 2019) the version of inkscape on DICE breaks the maps. In the meantime, the older version is installed ...
Rebuilding the LCFG master In a "pandemic" situation you should first refer to "scenario 1" on MPUDisasterRecovery. In normal circumstances you can create a new LCFG ...
LCFG Disaster Recovery Procedures Don't Panic! Force an LCFG client to swap servers If you have an LCFG slave server running but it is not one of those currently ...
Moving admin staff off AFS AFS DataStore AD vs AFS ACLs checked Size Scheduled Complete /group/admin/athena datastore inf groups athena ...
Summary of sending rootmail to Office 365 As an action from our Operational meeting of 27/2/2019 I emailed the linuxmans mailing list on the 19th of March 2019, asking ...
Generated with (more or less) for i in azul jubilee hammersmith oyster metropolitan amarela vermelha waterloo circle; do echo " VMHOST $i"; curl s "https://wiki ...
KB How to configure a Dell server to provide a console managed by IPMI Serial over Lan Contents These notes describe how to configure a Dell server located at ...
AT How to configure a Dell server to provide a console managed by IPMI Serial over Lan Contents These notes describe how to configure a Dell server at AT so that ...
Informatics Forum How to configure a Dell server to provide a console managed by IPMI Serial over Lan Contents These notes describe how to configure a Dell ...
KVM Service, aka Simple Virtualisation: emergency pandemic tips Your colleagues are fighting off a zombie invasion, so YOU have to save the KVM service. Here's how ...
Managing the Main LCFG Slave Servers Informatics has two main LCFG slave servers, lcfg1 ( vega ) and lcfg2 ( altair ) lcfg1 is also accessible via the standard ...
RT Care and Feeding Note that this page is currently being developed contact iainr #64;infREMOVE THIS.ed.ac.uk for more information. This page covers the operation ...
The "Top Five" things you need to know in case of emergency We are gradually deprecating the use of storage arrays within the School in favour of servers with lots ...
The format of order files This information has been obsoleted by OrderFileFormat (as of June 2018) This page describes the fields used in an order file. It describes ...
THIS DOCUMENTATION IS OBSOLETE Matching up serial numbers with hostnames for selfmanaged machines For DICE machines this happens automatically once the machine has ...
Final Project Report for Replace CVS with SVN on www.inf Summary This project was intended to implement the replacement of CVS as the underlying version control software ...
Notes, thoughts, musings and progress made on the "Replace CVS with SVN on www.inf" project. If you want the gory details in chronological order, start reading below ...
pre {color: black; background color: rgb(200,200,200); padding left: 2em; padding top: 1em; padding bottom: 0.5em} This document attempts to bring together links to ...
Package Search Procedure This page roughly describes the procedure for computing staff (including frontline support) for adding packages to the DICE environment. ...
Overview An initial triage (usually by frontline support) will place the request into one of the following categories (first matching category wins): Illegal immoral ...
AFS Top 5 Questions last updated 26/2/2019 Before we begin, some background information on our AFS service. For general AFS background, see the user information ...
School Video Conferencing Use Cases Boardroom style meetings: currently using Skype meeting held here with multiple disparate remote participants ...
Some notes and pointers on the Drupal EdWeb distro EdWeb is a Uni provided Drupal distribution. It is what will power the central web service, and will replace Polopoly ...
Serial Consoles Contents 1. Overview 1. We use three types of technology to support serial consoles, all of which are front ended by our conserver setup: ...
Client side LCFG configuration The prometheus code is packaged and distributed in the perl Prometheus client RPM. This is primarily for client side usage currently ...
The DICE PXE service The PXE service actually consists of three separate services: the main DICE dhcpd server, a kernel/initramfs server (TFTP/http) and an NFS server ...
List of Managed Platform Activities and TODO list MPU Meeting Actions (Printable version sorted by Action, Person, Project, Bring Back, Raised.) Action Person ...
How to record serial numbers for devices with multiple serial numbers For DICE machines (only), for the clientreport mechanism to work properly we rely on the system ...
#387 Continue to consider how best to make use of central data storage Central computing services now provide a number of data storage options to the wider University ...
Packages Sites Mirror The package repository site mirrors are stored on local disk on the master packages server deneb (an MPU managed server). There is currently ...
Architecture Each local package "bucket" lives in a dedicated AFS volume. For example, the binary packages for the LCFG layer of the SL7 platform live in the volume ...
What to do when kit is reported missing/stolen Create an RT ticket if the user has not already done so to ensure we have a record of what happened. Ensure ...
Final Report: UEFI Support in LCFG (389) The aim of this project was to replace our aging NX service with something based on a standard technology. Config Sharing ...
Teaching Support Provider Staff Account Issues Summary for discussion on how we technically manage "students that are also staff" (as maybe, or maybe not, distinct ...
How to change a serial number in Tartarus It is sometimes necessary to record a change in the serial number of an item. For example, sometimes the serial number was ...
IS Jabber Service IS does not run a Jabber Service. It was shut down.
Basic instructions on using the dice/options/wordpress non rpm.h header Assuming this is a newly installed machine, to which you've just added the header, with no ...
pre {color: black; background color: rgb(200,200,200); padding left: 2em; paddin g top: 1em; padding bottom: 0.5em} This document attempts to give a comprehensive ...
This page details the information required to be captured to populate the Informatics portion of the collage register of services. This is provisional at the moment ...
Plone Web CMS Service Management 2019 We are working to retire the use of Plone within Informatics, so no new sites should be created in Plone. Details on how ...
Plone "Top Five" Plone (or wcms.inf.ed.ac.uk and various aliases) is a Web Content Management System that we use to host various project web sites and, increasingly ...
Mail Services "Top 5" The Basics We have 2 mail servers (both in the VMs hosted in the AT server room) that do different jobs, but both will accept internal SMTP ...
Forum Self managed Server Room (IF B.Z14) Power Connections RACK 7 RACK 6 RACK 5 RACK 4 RACK 3 RACK 2 RACK 1 RACK 0 ...
Forum Self managed Server Room (IF B.01) Power Connections RACK 0 RACK 1 RACK 2 ssm100 ssm102 ssm104 ...
Current Documentation: Introduction A broad summary of the design behind Prometheus and links to talks/papers. Design in Detail Prometheus's design and ...
This page contains a very crude dump of the documentation in the prometheus code. It was generated by running the following commands from the top level of the code ...
Informatics Blog Service Overview The blog.inf service runs on blogvm.inf , currently on girassol in the Forum (confirm this location with "kvmtool name blogvm ...
This section explains how the Prometheus services is managed and configured. It should contain all the information necessary to understand operational details of ...
This section explains, in detail, the design of Prometheus. Roles and Entitlements Introduction The concept of roles and entitlements are central to the way in which ...
Overview Comments can be added to prometheus objects. These can be added to any object with the appropriate LDAP object class, but it is intended that they would ...
Merged MLP/MSc Teaching Clusters Overview This projects main aim is to merge the MSC teaching cluster and the MLP cluster to provide a full production cluster which ...
Teaching GPU Cluster Hardware Configuration This is the final report for CompProj:462 Description This Project follows on from CompProj:455 (Purchasing a 200 GPU ...
wiki.inf Pandemic docs Basics At the time of writing wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk is running on a VM called buckrogers. Most of the configuration comes from the live/inf wiki ...
Package locations The sites.pkgs.inf.ed.ac.uk server has a copy of everything. How to find packages Use 'whererpms'. It's fully supported and ships with the LCFG ...
RogerBurroughes 19 Jan 2010
Pandemic docs for "Traditional Web" This will cover the basics for any managed apache based web server, what to look for and where to start. Some familiarity with ...
Print Services Pandemic Planning Introduction In a pandemic situation you would expect that most of us would be off site and that printing wouldn't be used very ...
TiBS top questions How do I know if the backups are running as expected ? Everyone on the TiBS pandemic team will shortly receive all the necessary TiBS e mails. ...
To get an up to date list of all file servers in the volume database, run the command vos listaddrs . At 26/2/19, the list of servers was: File Servers Name ...
Project 347 DICE as a Service on VRS The project came about as it was noted that not all Informatics visitors registered on VRS require a DICE account. Our initial ...
Crichton This is a function that will be called instead of the bash response of "command not found" which is relatively unhelpful. "command not found" can occur for ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Teaching Support Forms and Workflow Enhancements Part 2 Final Report for CompProj:459 Description This project ...
Nagios / The DICE Monitoring System Last updated: 2019 02 12 Contents 1. Overview Our Nagios monitoring system employs two servers, nagios.inf.ed.ac.uk and ...
CDT Cluster: Care and Feeding Note that this page is currently being developed contact iainr #64;infREMOVE THIS.ed.ac.uk for more information. This page covers the ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } SL7 server upgrades Research and Teaching Unit Final Report for CompProj:359 Description The aim of the project ...
Releases: Emergency info What's a release? Once a week we take a snapshot of the "core" files in subversion the headers and package lists. That snapshot is the ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Teaching Support Forms and Workflow Enhancements Final Report for CompProj:413 Description This project covers the ...
Teaching Support Workflow Further Enhancements Part 3 #RT93430 I've had a couple of the academics comment/complain that this year they have had quite a lot ...
Admin Notes for SSH Service Available servers We provide two SSH servers: $ ssh.inf : Accessible by all DICE users. This is currently on bruegel . See external ...
From: dice account mgmt at inf.ed.ac.uk Subject: Your Informatics password Informatics DICE username: juser Welcome to Informatics! In addition to your University ...
MPU Data Backups The MPU has a number of servers containing master data. Most are backed up off site using rsync rmirror. Rmirror backups are run by the Services Unit ...
LCFG Service Information The LCFG service is a server client model with a single master and multiple slaves. We normally run two main slaves, a DIY DICE slave and ...
Discussion Forum Drupal Setup Currently on 2 virtual hosts bakersfield and forteviotvb3 discuss.inf.ed.ac.uk points to bakersfield and was originally EASE ...
DICE Releases FAQ What is a "release"? Our LCFG header and package files are stored and edited in a Subversion repository. Before releases, our LCFG servers took ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } CompProj:440 : Teaching Software 2017 / 2018 Final Report Description This project involves eliciting all software ...
VirtualBox Configuration Repository This repository is deprecated. Please use the RAT Virtualbox creation and management scripts to automate and compare configuration ...
PhD Thesis Proposal Submission This is an interim procedure which allows students to submit thesis proposals for convenient review. It employs a simple 'drop box ...
Optional Packages for DICE Users The RAT Unit occasionally provide upgraded software ahead of basic DICE or Teaching/Research Requirement provision if demand is high ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } The 'getpapers' system These packages are required to allow package retrieval on exam desktops. To install, see exam ...
Original Proposal: Lab Exam System This proposal was implemented and its documentation is integrated into the Lab Examination Procedure and getpapers pages. Please ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } DICE environment for SL7 Description Port the DICE environment software packages to the new LCFG SL7 platform. This ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Lab Exam Environment port to SL7 Description Port the Lab Exam environment to SL7. This environment incorporates ...
pre, code { font size: 140%; color: #101090; } Installing an RT4 server from scratch This is based on installing a test RT4 server on a VM called "bembo" (which became ...
Future DICE Platform Notes This page is where we collect together ideas for changes we would like to make in a future major platform update. See also: plan ...
Forum Server Room Noise Levels Contents Background Regarding the continuous noise we encounter in our server rooms, (as opposed to the sudden loud concussive noises ...
Mock REF Reviewer System Final report for the #455 Mock REF Reviewer System computing project. This was requested by Head of School. She was looking for a secure database ...
Support for Bayes Core Team Informatics will support the Bayes Core Team. Currently 8 staff based in rooms 3.25, 3.26 and 3.27 in the Bayes building ...
From: dice account mgmt at inf.ed.ac.uk Subject: DICE user account policies This is a regular email to provide information on policies regarding the expiry and deletion ...
Mail All new staff and Phd students use Office365. Most visitors will not get mail accounts and should have supplied a mail address to the admin staff for their database ...
Moving admin staff off AFS AlisonDownie 15 Jan 2019
Setting up a test network This is a (rough!) list of things to be done to set up a test network. The idea is to provide as much as possible of the functionality of ...
Final project report for DTI Building Design (334) Goal The goal of the project was to act as the University lead on providing User Requirements, related to IT infrastructure ...
Disk wiping station Documentation Location The disk wiping station is located in the support desk on level 4 of the Appleton tower. Look for the signage. it is currently ...
pre {color: black; background color: rgb(200,200,200); padding left: 2em; padding top: 1em; padding bottom: 1em} Meeting Room Booking System (MRBS) As a "stop gap ...
PageOutline Conduits Incoming This describes the automated upload of data into the database through the incoming framework. In general this is triggered by reception ...
Conduits Framework The Conduits Framework used in Hypatia bundles individual conduits and header files, the automated conduit generation of web pages and other data ...
Number of topics: 481

See also: rss-small RSS feed, recent changes with 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 topics, all changes

Topic revision: r1 - 16 Aug 2001 - 19:58:33 - PeterThoeny
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies