MPU Meeting Wednesday 11th October 2017

Inventory

Nothing much happened.

LCFG Client Refactoring

The core packages are now in the develop release and updaterpms has been updated to use the new lcfg_utils library.

Need to chase Kenny about testing the new code with the MDP profiles. Stephen will begin work on the final report.

Miscellaneous Development

SL7.4
Lots more work has been done on support for SL7.4

virtual dice
The new virtual dice image is now finished. There were problems with X in virtualbox, the fix was to remove the LCFG xfree component.

client report
Stephen has added support for collecting virtualisation information in the tartarus client report. For real machines this includes what technology is supported by the processor and whether it is enabled in the BIOS. For virtual machines the host technology is reported (e.g. kvm). Stephen will look at also gathering information on the keyboards and mice attached to machines.

Operational

emacs
emacs in SL7 has been updated to version 24.5, taken from Fedora, to fix problems with icons related to GTK 3.22.

HP EliteDesk 800 G3
Stephen has tested this new desktop model. It appears to all work properly, if anything the sleeping/waking is more reliable than the G2.

gaivota
The last KVM server on SL7.2 has been upgraded to 7.3. The FC card was also replaced to ensure we didn't have a repeat of the problems with girassol. There were problems with applying the updates for the iDRAC & Lifecycle Controller firmware. We will have to revisit this the next time a reboot is required, it will probably be best to prepare an ISO of the updates.

computing.help
We have some help pages which require a review.

http sites
We will leave adding full https support for computing.help until the edweb cosign module is available.

This Week

  • Alastair
    • Inventory project
      • continue working through TartarusWorkFlow
      • Document clientreport (eg how to add modules)
      • Document order sync code
      • Document hpreport processing script
      • Continue work on RESTful API - TartarusRESTAPI
      • Document REST API
      • Write more of the ii commands and document as writing.
      • Start work on final report!
      • How represent VMs
      • Continue with REST API testing framework
      • Consider what else needs done other than docs and tidying and backups
      • Blog something....take dev meeting talks
      • Add a REST API to get entire JSON blob of client report data for a specific host
      • Could query on location match case-insensitively? (this should work)
      • Consider how non Tartarus code will have access to Tartarus tables (eg COs should have read only access to all tables)
        • and give details to Ian D for inclusion in his privileged access discussion paper
    • Deploy encrypted /tmp and swap conversion script
      • Need to warn users that Gnome3 may pop up a window about /tmp being full (when script is run)
      • Now down to 5 desktops, 3 users, 2 COs
    • Schedule MPU meeting to discuss systemd ordering
    • Check sysmans (et al) have 'nograce'.
    • Take a look at RT #78875
    • Look at /etc/hosts - dns issue (IPV6?)
      • work out what we need to fix current problem
    • Circulate info on RH7.3 systemd changes we may wish to consider
    • RT actions (as agreed)
    • Deploy disable-module header on all computing.help servers
      • Added to computing-help-server header, but after 20/9 will need to check config of help servers
    • Implement change to kvmtool to allow KVMs to be marked as disabled
    • Look at Stephen's 'Thoughts on shell components'
    • Look at MPUActivitiesList
    • Start looking at https and computing.help (remove assumption that https means want cosign login)
      • wait on Neil's efforts with EdWeb
    • remove xfree component from stock vbox guest config
    • Chase Alison about LCFG check monitoring ( start doing again )
    • Look at RT
    • Investigate systemd reboot bug on gaivota and add some more debugging (store tree diff somewhere)

  • Chris
    • Inventory project
      • Continue work on clientreport modules for replacing firmwarereport
    • Look at MPUActivitiesList
    • Look at RT
    • Start work on SL7 coordinational final project report

  • Stephen
    • LCFG client refactor stage 2
      • testing and documentation
    • LCFG server symlink to exam branches - produce reporting script and discuss with Graham
    • submit polkit bug to redhat - with Alastair (still exists under 7.3)
    • Produce some text for systemd mount bug (to submit to RH)
    • Take issue of disable per user journald logs on certain servers to OPS
    • Schedule jubilee downtime to move to SOL
    • Consider PD work for after LCFG client ...
    • Look at MPUActivitiesList
    • On metropolitan, find fast baud rate we can drive the real physical consoles. (This so we can decide whether to use physical consoles for KVM servers).
    • Look at RT
    • Add mouse and keyboard presence checks to tartarus clientreport
    • Start work on LCFG client refactor final report

-- AlastairScobie - 11 Oct 2017

Topic revision: r5 - 24 Sep 2019 - 13:50:24 - AlastairScobie
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies