MPU Meeting Tuesday 19th July 2016

Inventory

Nothing happened due to holidays.

LCFG Client Refactoring

Name
Package name changed to "lcfg-core".

Documentation
Stephen has been researching documentation tools and has selected doxygen which seems to handle C code quite nicely, it can generate html and latex formats. Stephen has begun documenting the libraries to see how well it goes.

LCFG::Profile
There has been more testing of the Perl interface. Support for dumping profiles and components as hashes has been added to make debugging easier.

LCFG::Utils and updaterpms
Tweaked versions built against the core library

LCFG::Client
Now have a running rdxprof on circlevm5. The change handling has seen a lot of work and seems to do the job properly. Some of the tests have been updated, much more testing required though. Stephen has seen the occasional strange crash of the master daemon process, not clear if this indicates a bug in the way it forks/waits for the build and fetch child processes.

MPU SL7 Server Upgrade

NFS
Alastair will check the NFS component and configuration.

SSH
Stephen will talk to George about IPv6 addresses and get those organised before doing the upgrades of the SSH servers.

waklog
Stephen will talk to Neil about mod_waklog

Miscellaneous Development

Build tools
Stephen has done some further work on the build tools to add support for doing CMake builds in a directory which is different from the source directory. Along with this the lcfg-om package was updated to fix the build scripts.

xinetd
The default configuration for xinetd on SL7 has been changed so that the system defaults are used, see bug#341 for details. We should push this change down to the lcfg-level, Stephen will check that is safe at the next Deployers Meeting.

Sleep component
Chris has been working on fixing bugs in the sleep component and making it quieter for rootmail. In particular he has dealt with problems with USB devices preventing sleep which can sometimes only be cleared with a hard reboot.

HP EliteDesk 800 G2
The G2 still does not sleep properly, the display never comes back. We will disable it for now and hope that a later kernel update fixes the problem.

iDRAC8
Ian and Chris have looked at the latest iDRAC in the Dell PE R730. We should decide whether to use the dedicated interface or the shared interface. What are the pros/cons of each approach? Still need to look at whether this offers a better way to handle firmware upgrades. How should the web interface be accessed? Are there instructions?

Lenovo P310
We now have a P310 running SL7. It all seems to work fine, the onboard intel graphics are fine. We're buying the students machines with nvidia cards but that shouldn't cause any problems. The configuration includes a 1TB SATA disk and a 250GB SSD. Alastair has been investigating doing the system install onto the SSD. To handle encrypted partitions properly we will need a new fstab component resource for setting "crypt options" for a partition which is mounted via crypttab. We will also need to be able to tune the swappiness to avoid unnecessary use of the swap partition.

Operational

dice installbase
The dice installbase profiles were restricted to inf.ed.ac.uk which didn't work for machines without DNS entries. The access has now been changed to being IP-based.

oyster
The failed disk in the KVM server oyster has been replaced.

R330 and R430
Chris is happy that the new server models work properly with LCFG.

New KVM servers
Can begin installing gaivota as a KVM server. We discussed possible partition layouts, will want a good chunk of space for the libvirt partition for suspending VMs. To keep things simpled we will just have one big pool.

waterloo console
The KVM server waterloo lost its serial console again, this might indicate a duff BMC. The recent power outage in AT cleared the problem. It might be worth moving the console to the serial port connected to a Lantronix box so we always have reliable serial console access.

Future Meetings

The weekly MPU meeting will move to 14:15 on Wednesdays.

This Week

  • Alastair
    • Inventory project
      • continue working through TartarusWorkFlow
      • Document clientreport (eg how to add modules)
      • Document order sync code
      • Document hpreport processing script
      • Continue work on RESTful API - TartarusRESTAPI
      • Continue populating new inventory so other folk can play with API
      • Start work on final report!
    • Remove default pool if ops meeting agrees
    • Dump 'atom'
    • Deploy encrypted /tmp and swap conversion script
      • Deploy on office desktops
      • Need to warn users that Gnome3 may pop up a window about /tmp being full (when script is run)
    • Schedule MPU meeting to discuss systemd ordering
    • Reschedule MPU futures meeting
    • Continue building computing.help honeypot
    • package up ILW stuff and document process
    • Read through SL7.2 release notes
    • submit polkit bug to redhat - with Stephen
    • Chase Toby about testing latest perl-Moose under prometheus (and then make live) Chased - says will look at within next week or so (02/08/16)
    • Test lcfg-nfs under SL7 - working on circlevm8. Need to mark up el7 support and ship new version, and check dice/options/nfs-server.h header
    • Run named existence report on bandama
    • Add fstab.cryptopt_sda4 resource and codenot sure we really do want 'discard' enabled for /tmp ????. But, anyhow, cryptopts field is in lcfg-fstab-1.9.0
    • Once Stephen updated DNS part, submit SL7 server base project to August devel meeting for closing
    • Look at MPUActivitiesList
    • Check SL7ServerProgressJuly2016

  • Chris
    • Inventory project
      • Continue work on clientreport modules for replacing firmwarereport
    • pkgsearch for SL7
      • reimplement as a yum web front end (yum search for keyword produce an html file of links to cgi to do yum info)
      • Need support multiple platforms
    • MPU SL7
    • Investigate R730 iDRAC with Ian D
      • firmware upgrade
    • Propose disk partitioning scheme for SL7 KVM servers
      • and test on gaivota
    • Look at MPUActivitiesList
    • Check SL7ServerProgressJuly2016

  • Stephen
    • LCFG client refactor stage 1
      • schedule debrief meeting
    • LCFG client refactor stage 2
      • testing and documentation
      • blog article (once documentation complete)
    • Investigate kernel component pipe moan by using shell commands instead of RPM module => waiting on 7.2 => activities list
    • LCFG server symlink to exam branches - produce reporting script and discuss with Graham
    • Circulate dmesg proposal
    • Apply firmware patches - circle
    • submit polkit bug to redhat - with Alastair
    • SL7 MPU
      • Upgrade NX servers to SL7 - want to check IPV6 config first
      • Chase Neil re mod_waklog
    • Work on RT tickets
    • Add something about DNS to FinalProjectReport356
    • Investigate journald logging problem (rabbit)
    • Look at MPUActivitiesList
    • MPUDiskPartitioning needs updating
    • Check SL7ServerProgressJuly2016
    • Look at pathfix building problem under SL6

-- AlastairScobie - 19 Jul 2016

Topic revision: r10 - 24 Sep 2019 - 13:50:23 - AlastairScobie
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies