MPU Meeting Tuesday 22nd April 2014

Virtual DICE

Chris discovered that the virtual DICE image does not work with VMWare due to the inclusion of the VirtualBox add-ons package. He has prepared a version for VMWare so that it can be used by the user who reported the problem.

Toby has tried a test LDAP service which has the necessary alterations to the ACLs. He got a DICE login working from edlan, he will now apply the changes to the real service.

Client Refactoring

Nothing happened.


Nothing happened.

LCFG port to RHEL7 or similar

We should try to coordinate the work on MPU components for F20, this could be done using a wiki page with the components grouped by priority. We will add any notes and mark when something is being worked on or has been completed.

Stephen has done work on various components. There is a new grub2 component, this is mostly feature complete, Stephen will finish it this week.

For logging we will want rsyslog, how does this work with journald?

Miscellaneous development


opennx on Windows
It looks like the latest release of OpenNX does not work on Windows with our NX service. Version 725 is fine but 729 is broken. It is still possible to download the older version from SourceForge so Chris will amend the documentation to mention this issue.

MPU Servers
Alastair has been looking at the specs for the new MPU servers. The LCFG master and package master servers will be Dell R210, with a RAID pair of 10k 300GB SAS disks. The LCFG master will have 8GB of RAM and the package master will have 16GB. The new KVM servers for KB will be Dell R720 with either 64GB or 128GB of RAM. They will each hold 4 600GB disks. There was some discussion of the best configuration for the CPUs, Alastair will take this to the Operational Meeting for comments from COs. All the machines will have 5 year warranties.

This Week

  • Alastair
    • Order a spare 600GB disk for waterloo (hot spare)
    • Ask George - what does the TXretransmit value mean for switch connections? (Can't see this using rfe -xl )
    • Consider how to make metropolitan usable by users
      • Decide whether we do this now or not
      • ISOs
      • minimal docs (mostly manual)
      • they'll use virt-manager, but not create machines or change config
    • circulate table of LCFG bugs
    • Consider activities list
    • Look at gnome issue with NX - try inftest account
    • Double check latest web security reports
    • systemd project
      • start writing in blog
      • Modify lcfg components/rc scripts list as a result of COs talk.
      • Complete lcfg-systemd component
      • Update SystemdSchemaProposal
      • Consider how components will work with systemd
      • Consider journald
    • Ask Alison to write pandemic NX documentation. - discuss with Alison and Craig
    • Check multipath nagios check script (to look for failures and optionally a loss of redundancy)
    • Order new kit
    • Add more memory to Forum KVM servers?

  • Chris
    • SL7
      • Create an SL7 version of the prioritised component list
      • Continue looking at systemd
      • Pick another component or two to look at
    • Ask others in Uni how they keep track of HP firmware updates
    • Fix NX docs to point people at specific version of OpenNX (725)

  • Stephen
    • LCFG client refactor stage 1
      • schedule debrief meeting
    • LCFG client refactor stage 2
      • continue development and docs
    • Check with SEE what they did to improve NX performance
      • make any easy changes
      • open up staff.nx and announce
    • SL7
      • Finish off grub2 component
      • Look at systemd
    • Reboot hare to test firmware update
    • Pandemic stuff
      • discuss school db with Graham/Tim

-- AlastairScobie - 22 Apr 2014

Topic revision: r2 - 06 May 2014 - 12:10:26 - StephenQuinney
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies