Minutes of the Forum Migration group

Tuesday 20th November 2007

Present: George, Dave, Ken, Marije, Alison, Alastair

--------------------------------------------------------------
1) Items raised but not discussed due to lack of time
--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------
2) Items Discussed
--------------------------------------------------------------

2.1) CO office allocation

     Marije needs to know which CO is going into which office
     by the end of November. Alastair will coordinate this (with CEG).
 
     [ACTION: ascobie] (13/11/2007)

     Marije reported that she is hoping to have a first draft allocation
     by 23/11.

2.2) Moving equipment

     We discussed who would likely move what category of kit.

     * desktops/monitors

       We expect the furniture removal contractor to deal with this, 
       but we have concerns wrt packing of LCD monitors.       

     * servers/racks

       It is likely that we will require a specialist company to
       move our servers. They weigh from 10Kg to 50Kg; the racks
       weigh around 150Kg each. We will need to be especially careful
       with the Nexsan storage arrays. It won't be possible to move
       all servers at once; we will probably need several stages for
       each site. Alastair will ask IS and EPCC who they have used in
       the past.

       [ACTION: ascobie] (13/11/2007)

     * printers/photocopiers

       Many of the printers are heavy (40-50Kg), but can probably
       be handled by the furniture removal contractor. It is unclear
       which printers will be moving to the Forum; it's also not 
       yet clear whether MFDs will replace photocopiers. Alastair will
       check with Craig.

       [ACTION: ascobie/cms] (13/11/2007)

     * switches

       It's possible that the switches will be delivered to AT or direct
       to the Forum so we may not need to involve an external contractor.

     * safes

       We may require a specialist company to move safes to the Forum.
       Alison will identify, with Craig, which safe or safe(s) will
       move to the Forum and which will stay at KB.

       [ACTION: alisond] (13/11/2007)

2.3) Floorbox to closet allocation

     Dave commented that there is no detailed published documentation
     on which floorboxes are connected to which closet. We need this
     information in order to plan switch provision in each closet and
     to start drawing up our own wiring plans. Alastair will chase 
     BK for this information.

     [ACTION: ascobie] (13/11/2007)

2.4) Handover during January/February

     Marije reported that Balfour will be handing over floors,
     or sections of, to the University during January and February. 
     We will have access to the handed over areas once snagging is
     complete, but before the furniture supplier; this will allow us
     to move floorboxes as required.

     Marije will ask Balfour whether this will include handover
     of the associated closets. Dave pointed out that wiring up 
     a closet takes around one man week; we have 16 closets
     to wireup.
   
     [ACTION: mvugts] (13/11/2007)

     Marije reported that Alasdair McKim is setting up a meeting
     with Balfour to discuss the handover.

2.5) Meeting with Balfour Kilpatrick (BK)

     Gordon Duckett and Alasdair McKim have suggested that we meet
     with BK in the near future to discuss details of the handover.
     Alastair will arrange.

     [ACTION: ascobie] (13/11/2007)

2.6) Furniture layouts

     Marije reported that there are new versions of the furniture
     layouts. She will email to the group.

     Marije has emailed updated versions. She will distribute
     further versions when available.

2.7) PaintshopPro

     Alison will arrange a copy of PaintshopPro for Marije to 
     mark up office plans.

     This has been ordered.

2.8) Who is doing what?

     It was agreed that the move to the Forum was a one off event and
     anything we agree as part of the move should not be regarded as
     setting a precedent.

     All computing (and technical?) staff will be involved in the
     move in order to expedite the process. Those jobs that should
     be done by specialists should be done by specialists. For example,
     closets should probably be wired up by technicians. Offices can
     be wired up by any of our staff.

2.9) Cabling in furniture

     Marije will investigate whether it would be possible for the
     furniture supplier to route the power and network cabling
     when assembling the furniture on site. 

     [ACTION: marije] (20/11/07)

2.10) Newsletter article re effort

     Alastair will author an article for the CO newsletter to
     explain that effort will be tight during the first half of 2008
     and asking that any known requirements for that period are
     intimated ASAP. The article might also be suitable for the
     migration newsletter.

     [ACTION: ascobie] (20/11/07)

2.11) Update re timing

     Marije reported that she has been told that Buccleuch Place
     needs to be vacated by 1st April. This will probably mean that
     BP is moved before JCMB.

     The removal company reckon that they can complete all the moves
     in three weeks. This might mean that we can have an extra two
     weeks in March between completion and occupation starting. 
     Office desks will probably start arriving in January. 

     Dave commented that his estimate for wiring a desk is 15 minutes
     per desk. We have roughly 600 desks, which would take just over
     4 man weeks to wire.

2.12) Access to forum

     Alastair has attended the Balfour safety induction course. He
     spoke with the Balfour health and safety manager afterwards; it
     looks like all staff who will be working in the building prior
     to final completion will need to attend this course. We will
     need safety equipment for all. Marije will raise at the 
     appropriate committee.

     [ACTION: marije] (20/11/2007)

     After January, there is a possibility that we will also need
     CSCS cards to work in the building before completion. Gordon
     has asked David Wyse to check. (Alastair will report back)

     [ACTION: ascobie] (20/11/2007)

2.13) Procurement - network switches

     Procurement of the network switches has gone out to mini-tender.
     The closing date is 10th Dec. We are hoping to procure soon after
     that date with a delivery in early January.

     [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

     George wishes to commission the core and 1Gb edge switches prior
     to occupation. One possibility would be to do this in the 
     FH A20 tunnel. Alison will check if this is possible.

     [ACTION: alisond] (20/11/2007)

     Ken will check the insurance position re storing the switches.

     [ACTION: ktd] (20/11/2007)

2.14) Procurement - cables

     Dave is chasing pricing for cables. It was agreed that the
     number of desks should be used as a guide for the number of
     cables required. We can always purchase more later.

     [ACTION: dch] (20/11/2007)
     
2.15) Procurement - wireless

     Wireless provision is still to be bottomed out. George
     will be looking at this.

     [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

2.16) Procurement - server area equipment

      George will be bottoming out our requirements for
      server racks, power bars and patch leads.

     [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

2.17) Procurement - purchasing mechanism 

     Alastair will check with Gordon D and Alasdair McKim
     what the mechanism will be for purchasing kit out of
     the building budget.

     [ACTION: ascobie] (20/11/2007)

2.18) AV racks location

     We need to decide on the location of the AV racks. 
     Dave, George and Alastair to discuss.

     [ACTION: gdmr,dch,ascobie] (20/11/2007)

2.19) Cable decision

     All patch cables will be Cat5E; Cat6 cables are still too
     expensive and unnecessary at this point. Cables will be 
     labelled for use in closets and colour coded for use in offices.

2.20) Office furniture layout changes

     We will not be inviting individual staff to decide furniture
     layout for initial occupation. Instead we will invite changes
     for after the move. This also applies for additional network
     ports, unless already noted. Doing otherwise would entail 
     additional consultation and planning and would very likely
     introduce delays.

2.21) Transition

     We will meet on 27/11/07 to discuss how we move desktops
     from one building to another with minimal disruption.

--------------------------------------------------------------
3) Ongoing items, with bring back date
--------------------------------------------------------------

3.) Order of occupation (27/11/2007)

     Marije reported that she knows where each institute is going in
     the Forum, but not which individual is going to each room.

     Marije's current best guess is that the occupation will follow
     this order :-  AT, JCMB, BP, FH. It is possible that BP may
     be moved before JCMB. She hopes that E&B will give a clearer
     indication of priorities by the end of the month.

     (Bring back 27/11/2007)

     Until we know the above, it won't be possible to sequence
     the wiring of closets.

3.1) Support office furniture (when?)

     We need to deliberate on our requirements for the support
     office area furniture.

     [ACTION: alisond]

3.2) CO office furniture (when?)

     We need to deliberate on our requirements for extra CO
     office  furniture.

     [ACTION: ?]





-- AlastairScobie - 27 Nov 2007


This topic: DICE > WebHome > InformaticsForum > ForumMigration211107
Topic revision: r1 - 27 Nov 2007 - 16:40:07 - AlastairScobie
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies