Minutes of the Forum Migration group

Tuesday 8th January 2008

Present: George, Dave, Ken, Marije, Alison, Alastair

--------------------------------------------------------------
0) Items raised but not discussed due to lack of time
--------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------
1) Items Discussed
--------------------------------------------------------------

1.1)  Moving servers/racks

      It is likely that we will require a specialist company to
      move our servers. They weigh from 10Kg to 50Kg; the racks
      weigh around 150Kg each. We will need to be especially careful
      with the Nexsan storage arrays. It won't be possible to move
      all servers at once; we will probably need several stages for
      each site. Alastair will ask IS and EPCC who they have used in
      the past.

      EPCC had told Alastair that they had had 18 complete racks
      moved in one go; the removal company had moved the racks
      with servers still in the rack. This had been rather scarey
      to watch!

      Marije reported that removal companies are visiting us on
      Thursday 13th Dec to assess what needs moved. Alastair will
      show them the JCMB server area. He will discuss the servers
      moves with them.

      Alastair and Marije met with the removal companies. The removal
      companies felt that as we don't know how many server move phases
      we will need, they couldn't quote for moving servers. This will
      be added on to the contract at a later date when we have a 
      better idea of what is moving when.

      Action ??? to bottom out moves.

      [ACTION: ??] 

      (Bring back 04/03/08)

1.2)  Moving printers/photocopiers

      Many of the printers are heavy (40-50Kg), but can probably
      be handled by the furniture removal contractor. It is unclear
      which printers will be moving to the Forum; it's also not 
      yet clear whether MFDs will replace photocopiers. Alastair will
      check with Craig.

      The current proposal is for the following printer deployment :-

      north printer room :- A4 high volume b/w laser and an A3 colour MFD
      south printer room :- A3 high volume b/w laser
 
      Craig reports that the MFD solution is looking good. 

      We still need to identify which printers will be moving to the
      Forum. Alastair will check with Craig.

      [ACTION: ascobie] (11/12/2007)
 
1.3)  Existing store rooms

      We need to identify what kit in our current store rooms is junk,
      what is possibly usable by other schools, and what we want to 
      move to the Forum. Alison will coordinate this.

      [ACTION: alisond] (09/01/08)

      (Bring back 19/02/08)

1.4)  Floorbox to closet allocation

      Dave commented that there is no detailed published documentation
      on which floorboxes are connected to which closet. We need this
      information in order to plan switch provision in each closet and
      to start drawing up our own wiring plans. Alastair will chase 
      BK for this information.

      Alastair has requested this information from BK and is awaiting
      a response.

      At the data meeting of 20/12/07, BK indicated that it was
      unlikely that they could provide this documentation until
      late January to mid February. 

      [ACTION: ascobie] (13/11/2007)
 
      (Bring back 05/02/08)
 
1.5)  Meeting with Balfour Beatty (BBCL)

      Gordon Duckett and Alasdair McKim have suggested that we meet
      with BBCL in the near future to discuss details of the handover.
      Alastair will arrange.
 
      Alastair reported that there was a meeting, but that it had
      been conflated with another meeting about security; as a result
      only five minutes was spent on discussing details of the 
      handover. He will try and setup another meeting.

      Alastair reported that BBCL are producing a revised schedule
      of completion. 

1.6)  Cabling in furniture

      Marije will investigate whether it would be possible for the
      furniture supplier to route the power and network cabling
      when assembling the furniture on site. 

      Marije reported that we will be moving at the same time as other
      university units and potentially using the same removal company.
      It is looking like they won't be able to add extra staff resources
      to do the cabling, but would simply take extra time to do the new
      work. This wouldn't help us. 

      Another possibility would be to recruit some temporary staff
      to do the cabling work. Ken will investigate the costs and
      mechanism for recruiting so we can decided whether this is
      a viable option. Another possibility would be paid overtime
      for existing staff.
 
      [ACTION: ktd] (11/12/2007)

1.7)  Access to forum

      Alastair has attended the Balfour safety induction course. He
      spoke with the Balfour health and safety manager afterwards; it
      looks like all staff who will be working in the building prior
      to final completion will need to attend this course. We will
      need safety equipment for all. Marije will raise at the 
      appropriate committee.

      Marije reported that Ally Moore (Balfour) is investigating 
      providing a separate access to the Forum such that we won't
      need safety equipment. Staff will still need to attend the
      safety induction.

      After January, there is a possibility that we will also need
      CSCS cards to work in the building before completion. Gordon
      has asked David Wyse to check. (Alastair will report back)
 
      Alastair has raised this with Ally Moore (Balfour) who
      is going to discuss with Balfour management.

      Alastair reported that Ally had indicated that we will not
      need CSCS cards to work in the building. BBCL will be
      organising a group safety induction course for our COs and
      techs. 

      It was agreed that the Migration group should have a visit
      to the building before Xmas; 10am on 18th December was the
      agreed time. Marije will arrange this.

      We had our tour. Alastair will collate the photos and 
      put them up on a web gallery.

      [ACTION: ascobie] (09/01/2008)

      As installing a skeleton network will be one of the first
      things we need to do when we get occupation of parts of the
      building, it's important that George attends the safety
      induction course ASAP.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (09/01/20008)

1.8)  Procurement - network switches

      Procurement of the network switches has gone out to mini-tender.
      The closing date is 10th Dec. We are hoping to procure soon after
      that date with a delivery in early January.

      George reported that quotes had been received for the network kit. 
      We plan to order the kit this month, with delivery to FH in the
      new year.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

      George wishes to commission the core and 1Gb edge switches prior
      to occupation. One possibility would be to do this in the 
      FH A20 tunnel. Alison will check if this is possible.

      Alison had confirmed that we can use FH A20 for this purpose.

      Ken will check the insurance position re storing the switches.

      Ken has asked Sheila, who thinks that this is simply a matter
      of adding the kit to the expensive equipment schedule. She can
      do this once the kit has arrived and serial numbers known. George
      should provide her with this information when the kit is delivered.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (11/12/2007)

      It was agreed that we will keep the boxes for transporting
      the switches from FH to the Forum. 

1.9)  Procurement - cables
 
      Dave is chasing pricing for cables. It was agreed that the
      number of desks should be used as a guide for the number of
      cables required. We can always purchase more later.

      Dave reported that he had received pricing for the cables. We
      will order the labelled cables ASAP (off the G40588 budget)
      as they have a longish lead time.

      The closet cables have been ordered. We will order the office
      cables in late January.
  
      [ACTION: dch] (11/12/2007)
     
1.10) Procurement - wireless

      Wireless provision is still to be bottomed out. George
      will be looking at this; he needs to meet with Bill Byers.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

      (Bring back 19/02/08)

1.11) Procurement - server area equipment

      George will be bottoming out our requirements for
      server racks, power bars and patch leads.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

      (Bring back 04/03/08)

1.12) Procurement - purchasing mechanism 

      Alastair will check with Gordon D and Alasdair McKim
      what the mechanism will be for purchasing kit out of
      the building budget.

      Alastair reported that for minor purchases we will 
      purchase from School budgets and then reclaim from 
      Estates. Major purchases (eg the network kit order)
      will be raised by Estates directly.

      Plans have changed - we will now purchase all kit
      off school budgets and then reclaim from Estates.
     
1.13) AV racks location

      We need to decide on the location of the AV racks. 
      Dave, George and Alastair to discuss.

      Alastair reported that the active AV kit will now
      be installed in a rack in G.Z11, so only one AV rack
      will be installed in the basement. The rack will
      simply have termination from the AV kit in the
      ground floor meeting rooms; we will populate the 
      rack with streaming kit, etc, at a later date.

      We can't decide the rack location until we know the power/data
      layout under the floor. The buildonline diagram
      has the rack layout as horizontal, while Dave's proposal
      was for the a vertical layout. Alastair will check
      with BK.

      [ACTION: ascobie] (09/01/2008)

1.14) Transition

      We will meet on 27/11/07 to discuss how we move desktops
      from one building to another with minimal disruption.

      This meeting was held. Alastair needs to produce notes
      from the meeting.

      [ACTION: ascobie] (11/12/2007)

1.15) Order of occupation

      Marije reported that she knows where each institute is going in
      the Forum, but not which individual is going to each room.

      Marije's current best guess is that the occupation will follow
      this order :-  AT, JCMB, BP, FH. It is possible that BP may
      be moved before JCMB. She hopes that E&B will give a clearer
      indication of priorities by the end of the month.

      Marije reported that it is looking more and more likely
      that BP will move first, but this is still not certain.
      Hopefully we should know more in the new year.

      [ACTION: mvugts] (11/12/2007)

      (Bring back 19/02/08)

1.16) Phones - subnets

      We need to determine whether one large subnet, or several smaller
      subnets, will be used for the phones. George will discuss with
      Alan Boyd.

      Alan has confirmed that one large subnet will be used. This means
      that phones can move around the building without our involvement.

1.17) Phones - analogue connections

      Marije will identify where we will be placing emergency phones and
      fax machines and which meeting rooms might need polycom boxes. We
      will need an analogue connection at each MFD. 

      [ACTION: mvugts] (11/12/2007)

1.18) Phones - IP polycom boxes

      Ian Christie suggested that we look at trialling the IP version of 
      polycom boxes. Alison will ask Austin if he's willing to trial
      one of these.

      [ACTION: alisond] (11/12/2007)

      (Bring back 05/02/08)

1.19) Phones - information on individuals

      We need to provide Phones with the following information per
      individual :- name, phone number, move date, new room, new desk
      location and service quality. Marije will provide this.

      [ACTION: mvugts] (11/12/2007)

      (Bring back 18/03/08)

1.20) Phones - security

      It is likely that IS security will be using "i-stars" for the
      access control doors. These receive their configuration data
      over an IP network; this means that we will need a data socket
      in the electrical risers. George will discuss this with
      Fiona Donaldson of IS.

      George has emailed Fiona and is awaiting her response.
 
      [ACTION: gdmr] (11/12/2007)

1.21) Floorbox relocation

      Inevitably we will need to move some floorboxes and provide 
      additional floorboxes once we have posession of the building.
      Dave and Marije will attempt to identify these; it would
      be a good idea to do this earlyish so that we can identify 
      whether we have sufficient spares.

      Marije and Dave have started on this, but it is being complicated
      by the furniture layout still being in a state of flux. Marije has
      a meeting with Anisa this week to further stabilise the layout.

      [ACTION: dch/mvugts] (11/12/2007)

1.22) Building Management System

      The Building Management System (BMS) needs EdLAN connectivity.
      George will discuss with Dougie Williams of E&B. 

      E&B need one or two network points in the plant room which
      contains the BMS so that it can be contacted from E&B at Infirmary
      Street.

1.23) UPS 

      Alastair reported that at the last security/data meeting Balfour
      Kilpatrick had appeared to be unaware that we need some means
      of monitoring the UPS status. Alastair will chase with Kevin
      Ross of BK. 

      [ACTION: ascobie] (11/12/2007)

1.24) Spare floor boxes

      It appears that the spare floor boxes, floor tiles, and carpet
      tiles have not been ordered up. Marije will chase this issue
      with Bennets and BBCL.

      [ACTION: marije] (09/01/08)

      (Bring back 19/02/08)

1.25) Meetings with IS

      George will initiate a series of regular meetings with the IS network
      team to discuss our EdLAN connectivity.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (09/01/08)

1.26) Data meeting 20/12/07

      The following issues, identified during our tour of the building
      on 18/12/07, were raised at the data meeting of 20/12/07 :-

      * Floorbox power outlets
    
        We noticed that there are only two power outlets per floor box, where
        we think there should be four. BK reckon that it would be easy to
        add in extra power outlets in the floor boxes. They claim that the
        they are just following the tender documentation. 

      * Missing holes between closets

        We noticed that that only one set of closets have the vertical
        holes for the vertical links between the closets. The construction
        approved plan E706, on build-online, clearly indicate these holes and 
        they are essential to our network design. 

      * Print room data points

        All the data points in the print rooms are lumped together rather
        than distributed around the walls. The print room layouts clearly
        show the data points spread out.

       Alastair and Marije will be discussing these with Alasdair McKim (E&B).

       [ACTION: ascobie/marije] (09/01/08)

1.27) AV meeting 20/12/07

      Marije and Alastair had met with Mediascape, the AV supplier
      for the Forum, just before Xmas to clarify AV requirements
      for meeting rooms. Marije is producing a summary document
      of what is being provided.

      [ACTION: marije] (09/01/08)

1.28) Who manages the Forum's AV kit

      We need to clarify who will be responsible for managing the 
      Forum's AV kit; will it be Malts or the School? Alastair will
      discuss with Mike.

      [ACTION: ascobie] (09/01/08)

--------------------------------------------------------------
2) Ongoing items, with bring back date
--------------------------------------------------------------

2.1)  Floorbox to closet allocation (05/02/08)

      Dave commented that there is no detailed published documentation
      on which floorboxes are connected to which closet. We need this
      information in order to plan switch provision in each closet and
      to start drawing up our own wiring plans. Alastair will chase 
      BK for this information.

      Alastair has requested this information from BK and is awaiting
      a response.

      At the data meeting of 20/12/07, BK indicated that it was
      unlikely that they could provide this documentation until
      late January to mid February. 

      [ACTION: ascobie] (13/11/2007)

2.2)  Phones - IP polycom boxes  (05/02/08)

      Ian Christie suggested that we look at trialling the IP version of 
      polycom boxes. Alison will ask Austin if he's willing to trial
      one of these.

      [ACTION: alisond] (11/12/2007)

2.3)  Procurement - wireless (19/02/08)
 
      Wireless provision is still to be bottomed out. George
      will be looking at this; he needs to meet with Bill Byers.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)


2.4)  Existing store rooms (19/02/08)

      We need to identify what kit in our current store rooms is junk,
      what is possibly usable by other schools, and what we want to 
      move to the Forum. Alison will coordinate this.

      [ACTION: alisond] (09/01/08)

2.5)  Order of occupation (19/02/08)

      Marije reported that she knows where each institute is going in
      the Forum, but not which individual is going to each room.

      Marije's current best guess is that the occupation will follow
      this order :-  AT, JCMB, BP, FH. It is possible that BP may
      be moved before JCMB. She hopes that E&B will give a clearer
      indication of priorities by the end of the month.

      Marije reported that it is looking more and more likely
      that BP will move first, but this is still not certain.
      Hopefully we should know more in the new year.

      [ACTION: mvugts] (11/12/2007)

2.6)  Spare floor boxes (19/02/08)

      It appears that the spare floor boxes, floor tiles, and carpet
      tiles have not been ordered up. Marije will chase this issue
      with Bennets and BBCL.

      [ACTION: marije] (09/01/08)

2.7)  Moving servers/racks (04/03/08)

      It is likely that we will require a specialist company to
      move our servers. They weigh from 10Kg to 50Kg; the racks
      weigh around 150Kg each. We will need to be especially careful
      with the Nexsan storage arrays. It won't be possible to move
      all servers at once; we will probably need several stages for
      each site. Alastair will ask IS and EPCC who they have used in
      the past.

      EPCC had told Alastair that they had had 18 complete racks
      moved in one go; the removal company had moved the racks
      with servers still in the rack. This had been rather scarey
      to watch!

      Marije reported that removal companies are visiting us on
      Thursday 13th Dec to assess what needs moved. Alastair will
      show them the JCMB server area. He will discuss the servers
      moves with them.

      Alastair and Marije met with the removal companies. The removal
      companies felt that as we don't know how many server move phases
      we will need, they couldn't quote for moving servers. This will
      be added on to the contract at a later date when we have a 
      better idea of what is moving when.

      Action ??? to bottom out moves.

      [ACTION: ??] 

2.8)  Procurement - server area equipment (04/03/08)

      George will be bottoming out our requirements for
      server racks, power bars and patch leads.

      [ACTION: gdmr] (20/11/2007)

2.9)  Moving safes (18/03/08)

      We may require a specialist company to move safes to the Forum.
      Alison will identify, with Craig, which safe or safe(s) will
      move to the Forum and which will stay at KB.

      Alison has discussed this with Craig. Craig suggests that the
      AT safe stays where it is, the FH firesafe moves to the Forum,
      and that the BP safe stays at BP whilst BP is still occupied by
      the University. Craig is checking whether the BP option 
      is possible.

      [ACTION: ?]

2.10) Phones - information on individuals (18/03/08)

      We need to provide Phones with the following information per
      individual :- name, phone number, move date, new room, new desk
      location and service quality. Marije will provide this.

      [ACTION: mvugts] (11/12/2007)

2.11) Support office furniture (Post move)

      We need to deliberate on our requirements for the support
      office area furniture.

      [ACTION: alisond]

2.12) CO office furniture (Post move)

      We need to deliberate on our requirements for extra CO
      office  furniture.
 
      [ACTION: ?]







-- AlastairScobie - 11 Jan 2008

Topic revision: r1 - 11 Jan 2008 - 09:18:20 - AlastairScobie
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies