Development Meeting

Room IF-4,33 - Minutes 2009-03-04

Present: Toby Blake, Neil Brown, Tim Colles (convener and minutes), Chris Cooke, Alison Downie, Ian Durkacz, Graham Dutton, Iain Rae, George Ross, Craig Strachan

Apologies: Alastair Scobie and Simon Wilkinson

1. Minutes of last meeting

These were accepted.

2. Matters Arising

  • Revisit Account Management Simon had produced the discussion paper and the next step will be for George to call a meeting of interested parties. The subject will be discussed at the end of this meeting and the need for and nature of any further meeting will be dependent on the outcome of this.

Because of Simon's absence it had not been possible for George to speak to him about this.

Simon pointed out that the meeting was needed to sort out the short term problem of instituting a procedure to remove any extraordinary kerberos principles belonging to people who have left. George will arrange a meeting between himself, Simon and Ken.

Simon stated that the only thing that needed to be agreed was that when a person's DICE account was deleted that all Kerberos principals associated with that person need to be deleted as well.

This action has been transferred to Alison. Its really just documentation.

Action carried forward. [Action Alison]

It would be useful to get a list of current kerberos principals that do not have a corresponding LDAP entry. This ought to be a trivial script. [Action Toby]

Add comments from Alastair into the project description and leave pending (not in project priority list for next six months). [Action George]

  • George should document how the host keys of the ssh servers can be preserved during upgrades.

Action carried forward. [Action George]

Not in project priority list for next six months so leave as pending and bring back.

Project added to proposals (see below).

  • Investigation of server virtualization This needs to be split into two projects so that we can start to use the technology fairly soon. Alastair should bring this new project covering the basic use to the Development Meeting in the next few months.

Split up was done and new project added to proposals (see below).

Not in project priority list for next six months so leave as pending and bring back.

Not in project priority list for next six months so leave as pending and bring back.

  • Review of user documentation It was agreed that this project should be proposed at the Development Meeting as soon as effort became available.

This action now defaults to Alison.

Project added to proposals (see below).

  • Network Management Review Ian said that he would add more detailed milestones and begin to have one-to-one meetings with interested parties.

Not in project priority list for next six months and final report done so stalled for now.

3. Approved Projects

  • Future direction for the main Informatics web service The state and intended usage of Polopoly and Plone is still too much in flux so push back this milestone to May when hopefully the situation will be clearer. [Action Craig]
  • Collaborative LaTeX System Mark the "Repos ACLs" milestone as achieved. Adjust milestone(s) to account for delays in this project getting started. [Action Tim]
  • OpenVPN service Nearly complete, move milestones to allow a further month. [Action George]
  • Publishing and Discussion Media Survey Paper Staff absence affecting completion of this project. Adjust current milestone to reflect more accurately when this might be done. [Action Craig]
  • Infrastructure for New Informatics Forum Project is effectively complete, IS will install APs as and when. Take out erroneous "achieved" date. [Action George]
  • Network Management Review Final report has been produced and project has been stalled as not in project priority list for next six months.
  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail Still two users to move (old folders not incoming mail). Should have moved by meeting next month so extend milestone until then. Also add milestone(s) for looking at what to do with shared IMAP folders. [Action Craig]
  • LCFG buildtools rewrite Essentially complete except the build farm aspects which should be split off into a separate project (not in the project priority list for the next six months). [Action Stephen]
  • Proof General Eclipse Improvements Stalled pending decision on what areas remaining effort should be spent on.
  • Revisit Account Management Status unclear. Toby has not been able to look at the code as it has not been checked into CVS.
  • DICE client LDAP configuration Testing has shown that proxycaching clients are less reliable than those using our existing replication technology. The majority of the testing has been conducted using openldap 2.3, but this version is receiving no new development and no further bug fixes. Proxycaching using openldap 2.4 has been in testing for a short while in student labs but unfortunately looks to be no more reliable than 2.3. Push back milestones to allow for longer-term debugging and analysis. See project page for more details. [Action Toby]
  • Desktop Virtualization Complete apart from looking at how to deploy onto labs - Graham suggests looking at the ability of VirtualBox to have a central readonly image with a separate per-user diffs file. Adjust milestone(s) until end of April to allow this option to be investigated. [Action Tim]
  • JavaMC - Proof-carrying Java Code Funding ran out so moved to sign-off. Needs a final report. [Action Graham]
  • Develop power management solution for DICE desktops Nearly complete however milestones did not really represent where most effort was being spent. Chris has adjusted appropriately and added additional milestones for the remaining work.
  • Package Teaching & Research Software for Fedora CSO's have been assigned to this project, Tim to arrange initial meeting. Push back milestone to end of March to allow time for this to happen. [Action Tim]

At the last meeting the following project was signed off and should have gone to CEG for ratification:

However this didn't happen. Take to CEG for final ratification. [Action Tim]

The Inventory System project still required a more technical document overview before it could be signed off. Alison believes she now has sufficient technical documentation and will mail around for comment. [Action Alison]

4. New Project Proposals

The following projects were all brought to Proposal stage as they were on the list of priority projects for the next six months. Those that did not move from Proposal to Evaluation or Implementation below (either due to not starting soon or needing the project description fleshed out) should be kept in the agenda for subsequent meetings. Post meeting errata in italics.

We should arrange a meeting of interested parties to discuss and flesh out the proposal by the next meeting. [Action Ian]

In progress already and has milestones so should move straight to Evaluation. Description lacks an assessment of remaining effort. [Action Alastair]

In progress already (and almost complete) so should move straight to Implementation. Description lacks an assessment of remaining effort. [Action Alastair]

Left for a future meeting as not discussed.

Left for a future meeting as the proposal needs fleshed out with a plan, milestones and expected effort. [Action Alastair]

Needs LCFG managed aspects added to the project description and fleshed out with plan, milestones and expected effort for the next meeting. [Action Craig]

In progress already and crucial so move straight to Evaluation. [Action Tim]

In progress already and crucial so move straight to Evaluation. [Action Tim]

Left as proposal although work is ongoing. Post-meeting check showed description and milestones need changing and the IGS aspects separated out into a separate project (SICSA is crucial but IGS is not). [Action Tim]

Left for a future meeting as Alastair not present to comment on likely starting date.

Left for a future meeting as Alastair not present to comment on likely starting date.

Left for a future meeting as not discussed.

Needs milestones added for waiting on Mediascape and Meeting Rooms group. [Action Alison]

  • Decommission of FH, BP

Left for a future meeting as FH not imminent, Craig is however going to start looking at whats involved for BP after the KB moves are completed.

  • Rehousing at KB

Left for a future meeting as the first part (move out of KB server area) should be complete in a couple of weeks anyway.

In progress already so move straight to Evaluation and add milestones for significant dates. [Action Craig]

While we could consider a move to Confluence this has no support for iFriend or group access control which are locally important. Our Twiki software is ancient. This will make a good PDP. Work already started. Move to Evaluation and flesh out with a plan, milestones and anticipated effort in time for the next meeting. [Action Roger]

Not currently LCFG managed however it is in use as our primary backup technology. Chris likely to start work on this next month. Move to Evaluation and Chris, Craig and Alastair will discuss and flesh out with a plan, milestones and anticipated effort in time for the next meeting. [Action Craig]

5. AOB

The next meeting will be on April 6th in the Forum.

-- TimColles - 04 Mar 2009

Edit | Attach | Print version | History: r6 < r5 < r4 < r3 < r2 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions...
Topic revision: r4 - 05 Mar 2009 - 16:28:40 - TimColles
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies