Development Meeting

Room IF-5.42 - Minutes 2008-12-10

Present: Toby Blake, Lindsey Brown, Neil Brown, Tim Colles, Chris Cooke, Ken Dawson (convener and minutes), Ian Durkacz, Stephen Quinney, Iain Rae, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Craig Strachan, Simon Wilkinson

Apologies: Paul Anderson and Alison Downie gave their apologies

1. Minutes of last meeting

These were accepted.

2. Matters Arising

  • Revisit Account Management Simon had produced the discussion paper and the next step will be for George to call a meeting of interested parties. The subject will be discussed at the end of this meeting and the need for and nature of any further meeting will be dependent on the outcome of this.

Because of Simon's absence it had not been possible for George to speak to him about this.

Simon pointed out that the meeting was needed to sort out the short term problem of instituting a procedure to remove any extraordinary kerberos principles belonging to people who have left. George will arrange a meeting between himself, Simon and Ken.

Simon stated that the only thing that needed to be agreed was that when a person's DICE account was deleted that all Kerberos principals associated with that person need to be deleted as well.

This action has been transferred to Alison.

Action carried forward. [Action Alison]

Action carried forward. [Action Alastair]

  • George should document how the host keys of the ssh servers can be preserved during upgrades.

Action carried forward. [Action George]

Action carried forward. [Action Stephen]

Action carried forward. [Action Alastair]

  • Investigation of server virtualization This needs to be split into two projects so that we can start to use the technology fairly soon. Alastair should bring this new project covering the basic use to the Development Meeting in the next few months.

Action carried forward. [Action Alastair]

Action carried forward. [Action Iain]

Action carried forward. [Action Craig]

  • Review of user documentation It was agreed that this project should be proposed at the Development Meeting as soon as effort became available.

This action now defaults to Alison.

Action carried forward. [Action Alison]

  • Network Management Review Ian said that he would add more detailed milestones and begin to have one-to-one meetings with interested parties.

Action carried forward. [Action Ian]

All other actions from the last meeting have been completed.

3. Approved Project

  • OpenVPN service This project which was initially presented last month has now been accepted after George added an estimate of the effort required. The project will move to the Evaluation stage.

  • AFS file system The work of the current milestone (Optimisation) has in fact been done. Craig will update the value of the current milestone to be 'New servers' and will change the dates on some of the other milestones. [Action Craig]

  • Review of Backup Technology Craig has still not had time to work on this but progress is being made on other aspects of this project. Craig will update the proposed date of the the 'Organise survey' milestone.

  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail The work of the 'complete' milestone is almost done. One or two ex-staff who had a staffmail account up until recently have been given a grace period to find an alternative mail provider and move their folders there. There are also a few cases where the move of mail folders to staffmail hit problems.

  • LCFG buildtools rewrite This project is currently blocked due to a technical problem preventing the provision of SAN space. The build farm aspect of this project will probably be split off as a separate project; this will be brought to a future Development Meeting.

  • Cluster Parallel filesystem This work should now be able to proceed following the resolution of the server room air-conditioning problem.

  • DICE SL5 Services Three servers managed by the Services Unit are still to be ported to SL5; maelcum can now be upgraded.

The following project was signed off by the meeting and goes to CEG for ratification:

The Inventory System project still requires a more technical document overview.

4. Technical presentation and discussion of projects

5. AOB

The next meeting will be on February 4th in the Forum.

-- KenDawson - 10 Dec 2008

Topic revision: r1 - 10 Dec 2008 - 12:05:57 - KenDawson
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies