Development Meeting

Room IF-5.02 - Minutes 2008-09-03

Present: Neil Brown, Ken Dawson (convener and minutes), Graham Dutton, Stephen Quinney, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Simon Wilkinson

Apologies: Tim Colles, Craig Strachan

1. Minutes of last meeting

These were accepted.

2. Matters Arising

  • Revisit Account Management Simon had produced the discussion paper and the next step will be for George to call a meeting of interested parties. The subject will be discussed at the end of this meeting and the need for and nature of any further meeting will be dependent on the outcome of this.

Because of Simon's absence it had not been possible for George to speak to him about this.

Simon pointed out that the meeting was needed to sort out the short term problem of instituting a procedure to remove any extraordinary kerberos principles belonging to people who have left. George will arrange a meeting between himself, Simon and Ken.

Simon stated that the only thing that needed to be agreed was that when a person's DICE account was deleted that all Kerberos principals associated with that person need to be deleted as well. [Action Ken]

  • DICE SL5 Server Platform There were two pieces of software that had not apparently been ported to the SL5 64bit platform (the SL5 platform was complete). Toby confessed that he had actually ported Cosign to SL5-64 but had not closed down the corresponding bugzilla bug. Stephen offered to look at the outstanding problem. Ian will talk to Stephen about this.

George has still to port his tnm package to 64-bit. This software is in the tkined rpm. Ian has been looking into compiling this on a 64-bit SL5 platform.

George has not had time to carry out this action because of pressure from more urgent work.

This software will need to be ported before we start using 64bit machines by default. [Action George]

  • Craig was asked to fork a new project to handle the final stages of the web CMS work. [Action Craig]

  • AFS file system Craig will also add an additional milestone to cover upgrading AFS to version 1,47, installing the new servers and doing AFS performance tuning [Action Craig].

  • Review of Backup Technology The review is still relevant as it also covers how we will do backups (frequency, archival, etc). Craig will update the milestone appropriately [Action Craig].

  • Infrastructure for New Informatics Forum Wireless provision needs to be reviewed. Alastair commented that some areas need to be done very soon even if it is an interim arrangement (eg. level 1 meeting rooms, mini forum 2). Looks like the server plan will need to consider the addition of Dexian racking and storage units moving from JCMB. It may be useful to have an old printer in the server area. The milestone for wireless needs to be updated. [Action George].

  • Replacement of LPRng with CUPS Kenny MacDonald has done some of the work for us by producing a usable cups component which is now running on a test server. A production service should be imminent. Still need to move per-subnet relays from desktops to, for example, network infrastructure machines. Milestones need to be updated [Action Craig].

  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail About 50% of staff have moved to staffmail now. Some users still may be problematic. Craig to speak with Neil to update milestone for procedures documentation which is needed before end August [Action Craig]. Add a new milestone for the actual move deadline date [Action Craig].

  • Desktop Virtualization The project proposal was accepted and the project moves forward to the evaluation stage. The EULA needs to be checked now VirtualBox is owned by Sun, the work required on networking is likely to be carried out by the MPU and we should have a meeting to discuss common requirements for VMware/Xen/VirtualBox. The timescale will have to be extended to cover this. Tim will move to evaluation and add milestones as appropriate [Action Tim].

  • Collaborative LaTeX System The project proposal was accepted and the project moves forward to the evaluation stage. Tim will move to evaluation and add milestones as appropriate [Action Tim]. Chris commented that the devproj management field had truncated the content and should be extended, although it was also pointed out that this field should actually only hold the name of the manager - clarification required .

Ken explained that the field was meant to say where the project was to be managed from, e.g. which unit and if necessary with a brief note on the reason. It was not big enough for a long piece of text.

  • Package Teaching & Research Software for Fedora The project proposal was accepted and the project moves forward to the evaluation stage. Need to confirm packages can be pushed to EPEL from Fedora. Anyone can become a sponsored package submitter with effort. All packages should be marked in the Fedora CVS repository with both timc and sxw as maintainers for redundancy. Tim will move to evaluation and add milestones as appropriate.

The milestones still need to be added. [Action Tim].

All other actions from the last meeting have been completed.

3. Approved Project

Only projects led by people other than Craig and Tim (because of their absence) were considered in general.

  • AFS file system Neil commented that the move of people to AFS had been slowed recently while we are waiting on new AFS servers.

  • Replacement of LPRng with CUPS Neil said that a CUPS server had ben installed in the Forum. Stephen reported that we were starting to get complaints about various packages being in a state where they could no longer print reliably because of the mix of LPRng and CUPS.

  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail In Craig's absence Neil should add a milestone for deciding on the detailed mechanism for doing a bulk move of mail data from the informatics mail server to staffmail. He should also set a milestone for completing the move (via a bulk move of data) with a proposed deadline of 1st November. [Action Neil].

Ken should bring this issue to CEG. [Action Ken].

  • LCFG buildtools rewrite Stephen reported that the deadline had been overshot because of the delay in moving servers from JCMB. Stephen will update the milestone '8.0' proposed date. [Action Stephen].

The following project was signed off by the meeting and goes to CEG for ratification:

4. New project proposals

  • Informatics Commercialisation Website Simon stated that the deliverable 'Cosign authenticated access control. Support for users with EASE accounts.' would require significant changes to our Cosign code and the effort was unlikely to be available for the forseeable future. Neil should estimate effort required for each of the proposed deliverables and then discuss with the customers what the priorities were. The project was accepted but given the concern over the effort and probable refining of the expected deliverables it moves forward to Evaluation. [Action Neil].

5. Prioritisation of Projects

This was postponed till the next meeting.

6. AOB

The next meeting will be on October 1st in the Forum.

-- KenDawson - 03 Sep 2008


This topic: DICE > WebHome > DevelopmentMeeting > DevelopmentMeetingMinutes-2008-09-03
Topic revision: r1 - 03 Sep 2008 - 12:07:09 - KenDawson
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies