Development Meeting

(Room 2511, JCMB)- Minutes 2007-11-07

Present: Toby Blake, Neil Brown, Chris Cooke, Ken Dawson (convener and minutes), Ian Durkacz, Bill Hewitt, Stephen Quinney, Iain Rae, Gordon Reid, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Rosemary Soutar, Craig Strachan, Simon Wilkinson

Apologies: Paul and Tim had sent their apologies.

1. Minutes of last meeting

These were accepted.

2. Matters Arising

Seventeen out of the twenty seven computing staff had now moved their mail service to staffmail.

Paul has now moved but Simon will not be able to move for another month or so. Neil reported that the Default quota had now been increased to 2 GB. However this was a limit that could not be exceeded until IS introduce a mail server with a later version of Cyrus software.

Richard and John have also still to move.

Richard was going to try to move today.

Craig commented that one of the non-computing staff on the Computing Strategy Group had now also moved to staffmail. There was no longer a 2GB limit to mail boxes and new staff will only get a staffmail mail account; an alias for their inf mail address pointing at their staffmail address will automatically be inserted into the alias file for the inf mail server. [Action John, Simon]

  • Revisit Account Management Simon had produced the discussion paper and the next step will be for George to call a meeting of interested parties. The subject will be discussed at the end of this meeting and the need for and nature of any further meeting will be dependent on the outcome of this. [Action George]

All other actions from the last meeting have been completed.

3. Approved Projects

  • LCFG buildtools rewrite Stephen explained that because of the pressure from more urgent work the milestone '1.0' (Produce proposals for implementation phase) had slipped. It was agreed that Stephen should change the proposed date for this milestone to 2007-11-30. [Action Stephen]

  • Cluster Parallel filesystem Iain said that because a new version of GPFS had been released he will be concentrating on getting SL5 linux working with GPFS 3.2. It was agreed that Iain should change the proposed date for the milestone 'run performance' to 2007-11-30. [Action Iain]

  • AFS file system Craig will update the proposed date for the mount point database milestone or alternatively promote the work to a separate project. [Action Craig]

  • Web Technologies and Policy The current milestone 'wcmsaut' has been delayed by Neil's absence. However he preferred that the proposed date remain unchanged.

  • Publishing and Discussion Media Survey Paper The survey had been tested on a small group but was still to be released. Craig asked, and it was agreed, that the proposed date should be changed to 2007-11-21. [Action Craig]

  • OpenLDAP Replication and Server Configuration The changes that needed to be made were almost ready but Toby was reluctant to make them when he was about to go away on leave. It was agreed that he should update the proposed date for the milestone 'master-slaves' to 2007-12-21. [Action Toby]

  • System Monitoring The final milestone, which was there because the original plan had been to test the system monitoring on the AFS component and then roll it out further, was judged to be no longer relevant to this project; the milestone for hooking AFS into the system monitoring framework has been shifted to the AFS project. Simon should delete the milestone from this project and mention the circumstances in his final report. [Action Simon]

  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail After some discussion it was realised that there were still one or two pieces of work to be done associated with this project, getting agreement from CSG and actually planning/organising the move. Craig will add additional milestones. [Action Craig]

  • DICE SL5 server platform Ian will produce more milestones for the project and George will define the follow on project to actually track the upgrading of servers to SL5. [Action Ian, George]

The following five projects were signed off by the Development Meeting and go to CEG for ratification:

4. New Project Proposals

5. Prioritisation of projects

At present there is no discussion outwith the individual units of the prioritisation of pending projects. The Managed Platform Unit do have a list of pending projects and an indication of their priority.

Having an agreed prioritisation of all the most important pending projects across all units would be of value when discussing possible areas of collaboration with Information Services and in the School and College IT planning processes. The priority of the projects would be decided by CEG in consultation with the computing staff and Computing Strategy Group to represent the Teaching and Research staff.

Even if a possible project has not been worked out beyond the very initial idea it should still be entered, in skeleton form, into the Development Project database.

Each Unit should set their own priority on their most important pending projects and all pending projects will be put in an initial partial priority ordering at the Development Meeting at intervals of 3 months.

CEG should consider what to do about Simon's suggestion of a 2 to 3 year technical strategy document. Ken will raise this at CEG. [Action Ken]

6. Technical presentation and discussion of projects

  • Simon gave a brief presentation PDF and led a discussion on his proposals for a new account management system.

7. AOB

The next meeting will be on December 5th in the Seminar Room, Buccleuch Place.

-- KenDawson - 07 Nov 2007

Topic revision: r4 - 12 Nov 2007 - 15:22:40 - KenDawson
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies