Project Development Meeting

(Seminar Room, Buccleuch Place)- Minutes 2007-10-03

Present: Paul Anderson, Toby Blake, Neil Brown, Roger Burroughes, Tim Colles, Chris Cooke, Ken Dawson (convener and minutes), Alison Downie, Graham Dutton, Bill Hewitt, Stephen Quinney, Iain Rae, Gordon Reid, George Ross, Alastair Scobie, Craig Strachan

Apologies: There were none.

1. Minutes of last meeting

These were accepted.

2. Matters Arising

Seventeen out of the twenty seven computing staff had now moved their mail service to staffmail.

Paul has now moved but Simon will not be able to move for another month or so. Neil reported that the Default quota had now been increased to 2 GB. However this was a limit that could not be exceeded until IS introduce a mail server with a later version of Cyrus software.

Richard and John have also still to move.

Richard was going to try to move today.

Craig commented that one of the non-computing staff on the Computing Strategy Group had now also moved to staffmail. There was no longer a 2GB limit to mail boxes and new staff will only get a staffmail mail account; an alias for their inf mail address pointing at their staffmail address will automatically be inserted into the alias file for the inf mail server. [Action John, Richard, Simon]

  • AFS file system Other higher priority tasks have impacted on the achievement of this last milestone. Craig will discuss with Alison what a suitable revised date should be and propose it to CEG.

Craig has discussed this with Alison but had not yet proposed a revised date for the milestone to CEG. Craig's proposal in the meeting that the milestone be postponed till 2nd April was agreed. [Action Craig]

All other actions from the last meeting have been completed.

3. Approved Projects

  • 802.1X and RADIUS George said that the FreeRADIUS software was the obvious choice for use by the School but that because a major new version of this software would be released soon there is little point in doing any work on configuring/managing the current release. He proposed, and it was accepted, that the project be stalled until the spring of next year. [Action George]

  • Revisit Account Management Simon had produced the discussion paper and the next step will be for George to call a meeting of interested parties. [Action George]

  • Production Cosign Service The final step of including spnego changes to firefox config for all DICE users is essentially done. Firefox 2 on FC6 already has the change. Iain had now shipped Firefox 2 for FC5 and it would reach the stable release by the end of next week.

  • Web Technologies and Policy Most of the work for this project has been done apart from the current milestone (wcmsauth) which was delayed by the need to get a web site built for ICSA on the CMS controlled server. Neil believes that he can complete the current milestone by the next meeting so it was agreed that he move the proposed date for that milestone to 7th November. [Action Neil]

  • Enhancing the Solaris LCFG Platform The Services Unit have adopted the new patching mechanism but have not yet used it. They should have used the system to patch several servers by the next meeting. It was agreed that Chris move the proposed date for the current milestone (2.1) to 7th November. [Action Chris]

  • System Monitoring The Services Unit hope to add the hooks into the AFS component for use by the monitoring system by the end of next week.

The following two projects were signed off by the Development Meeting and go to CEG for ratification:

Ken will find a temporary home for the end of project reports somewhere on the Development Meeting wiki. [Action Ken]

The "Friend" lightweight authentication system project was not signed off yet. Further work needs to be done on the documentation for the system, including making the existing documentation easier to find. It would also be more reassuring to see the system used by a production service before the sign off.

4. Deployment of SL5 on Servers

Alastair explained the reasons for proposing that we start to upgrade servers to SL5, namely that FC5 is no longer maintained with patches and new hardware support and that support for FC6 would cease at the end of December. In contrast SL5 will be supported until 2009. Chris together with a colleague from EPCC has finished the project to deliver an LCFG managed SL5 platform and the further work to make it available as an inf level platform has also been done. Further motivation for moving to SL5 is that the College has adopted it as its standard Unix platform and that IS public labs will contain dual boot Windows and SL5 machines. It was agreed that this was just about the only viable and affordable option. Units managers have already drawn up prioritised lists of servers to upgrade to SL5. This work should now go ahead.

5. Unstalling of the RPM submit project

It was agreed that the Improved RPM submission tool project should move out of the stalled state and proceed to the implementation stage.

6. Technical presentation and discussion of projects

  • Tim gave a demonstration of the Adobe Connect software using the School's connect server.

highlighting some of the proposals and the remaining open questions for the Forum server room.

7. AOB

The next meeting will be on November 7th in the Room 2511, JCMB.

-- KenDawson - 03 Oct 2007

Topic revision: r1 - 03 Oct 2007 - 13:49:53 - KenDawson
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies