Please fill in actual activity for Last Month (November) and intended activity for This Month (December) for projects you are responsible for. For reference, the intended activity recorded for November is included where an entry had been made (it is considered unhelpful to alter this to match what actual activity was :). It is acceptable to change devproj milestones as part of this process, however if you do please indicate that you have done so below, for example by adding a Change of Plan bullet point, so that the meeting is alerted to the changes.

  • Revisit Account Management
    • November: complete review, start writing up
    • Last Month: afs tests review continued, now very nearly complete
    • This Month: complete review, start writing up

  • School Database Revamp
    • November: Collating some stats to finish. Then pass draft to Graham for any additions/corrections. Send out.
    • Last Month: Stats and commentary/analysis added and draft completed.
    • This Month: Additions/corrections from Graham. Then send out.

  • Inventory Improvement
    • November: Complete final design document and publish. More playing with perl catalyst.
    • Last Month: Started rewriting workflow document.
    • This Month: Farr willing, complete final design document and publish.

  • Prometheus AFS PTS conduit
    • November: Get rest of code approved.
    • Last Month: All code approved
    • This Month: final checks that all branches of VL conduit are tested, sign off

  • Password strength checks
    • November: Find some wordlists to feed into CrackLib. Test.
    • Last Month: Creeping forward... looking at likely component changes (templates and resources) to support the configuration stanzas.
    • This Month: Probably just hack the configuration changes in by hand for a basic test. Do it properly through the component if time permits.
    • Comment: Still waiting to hear how IS are getting on with the EASE KDC upgrades and enhancements.

  • Account reconciliation
    • November: delete old machine principals; make various useful scripts available; Alison, Lindsey and Toby to meet to discuss procedures, until lifecycle code operational
    • Last Month: some progress on deletion of old machine principals - agreement with mpu that we would treat machines with no DNS and no LCFG as "old" and liable for principal deletion - list for this being generated now; investigations into historical uid matters - seems to have stalled at IS side of unidesk; I'm not convinced IS will agree to change any uids at their end
    • This Month: host principal deletion; resolve uid matter with IS either way; Alison, Lindsey and Toby to meet to discuss procedures

  • School Database Revamp: Phase 1B & 2B
    • November: Complete pgcatalog import and (self) DDL generation stage. Can then self-build which is the final part of the "bootstrap" process. Work on scripting the tool chain. Consider a switch over date for the core functionality (those aspects which directly replace the interim system running now).
    • Last Month: Completed prototype of pgcatalog import. Self DDL generation is working but not complete (won't reload yet due to some adjustments to the import needed). Tool chain is largely now designed.
    • This Month: Finish self DDL generation and reload diff check. Implement tool chain.

  • VM / cloud options survey
    • November: push the report forwards
    • Last Month:pushed a little
    • This Month:produce preliminary report

  • Streaming Media Service Requirements
    • November: Submit for signoff
    • Last Month: On hold (informally) pending completion and recommendations of IS's Video and Media Strategic Review. Apparently the IS survey "is now ready and with Simon Marsden for review/approval".
    • This Month: Await review recommendations? (Sign off? Stall?)

  • Lifecycle code design
    • November: Prod reviewers; code review; plan implementation
    • Last Month: stalled on code review
    • This Month: wait for code review

  • Investigate AFS on ECDF storage
    • November: Well we should have access to their GPFS, but mounted here. In the mean time I'll look at some standard iozone setup so we can do some comparisons.
    • Last Month: Unfortunately IS are still working on deploying the RDM, and so they've little spare time to setup our test space, and so far have not. I've not looked at iozone.
    • This Month: Get some basic iozone (and/or bonnie) tests to run so we can compare results.

  • Deploy Git/Gerrit as full services
    • November: Documentation
    • Last Month:Epiphany. Offer two services, full fat gerrit and git server with access controlled via AFS ACLS for those not needing code review. New header file created, new git server brought up
    • This Month: Migrate appropriate users to new server, update documentation in view of new setup

  • Review of OpenLDAP DICE client configuration
    • November: Watch the outcome of the above; investigate any problems. Need to discuss certificate distribution mechanism. Possibly look at DICE::Authorize code. More widely: need to re-consider overall aims. Should probably (?) also look at sssd.
    • Last Month: 'Watched the outcome' and also tested certificate distribution. So far appears to be no 'stopper' reasons for not proceeding with this.
    • This Month: Possibly look at DICE::Authorize code. However, would now welcome clarification from this meeting: does anybody have any strong philosophical/policy objections to moving DICE to a conventional client/server LDAP setup?

  • LCFG client refactor - code cleanup
    • November: Deploy to develop release. Write final report.
    • Last Month: Deployed to develop machines. Fixed bug in secure mode handling.
    • This Month: Write final report.

  • Replace CVS with SVN on www.inf
    • November: Check test SVN with users, confirm conversion options. Arrange switchover.
    • Last Month: Confirmed test user base, converted hook scripts.
    • This Month: Check test SVN with users, confirm conversion options. Arrange switchover.

  • DICE virtual image with teaching software for students - trial
    • November: Remind the students. Hopefully announce Virtual DICE more generally.
    • Last Month: Got useful feedback from students. Identified user confusion about EdLAN vs Informatics network. Planning to make it possible to login to a Virtual DICE VM using DICE credentials and get AFS homedir, all from anywhere on EdLAN, rather than just from the Informatics network.
    • This Month: Make it possible to login to a Virtual DICE VM using DICE credentials and get AFS homedir, all from anywhere on EdLAN, rather than just from the Informatics network. Document this, then finally announce the (non-trial) Virtual DICE. Draw up a timetable for the creation of new images. Write up, sign off.

  • Evaluate move of LCFG configuration from svn to git
    • November: Learn more. Plan the project in more detail. Start work on the project proper, including devising feasible release procedures.
    • Last Month: Learned more, started listing details of various areas which need to be investigated.
    • This month: Put my findings and plans so far down on a project web page, and invite comments.

  • Securing School Web Servers
    • November: Arrange meeting to discuss all possible options to secure a web server. Armed with whatever that produces, update the project with some more firm proposals.
    • Last Month: Had a short meeting with Stephen and George, notes of which are at Project287SecuringWebServers. Didn't update the project with firmer proposals.
    • This Month: Update project proposal, make a guess at effort/benefit/affect on users for options listed in the above link.

  • remove obsolete deps for LCFG client
    • November: Get started.
    • Last Month: Nothing happened.
    • This Month: Work out the best way to parse the LCFG XML structure. Design an object-oriented API for the profile information.

-- TimColles - 27 Nov 2013

Topic revision: r17 - 04 Dec 2013 - 10:38:05 - IainRae
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies