Please fill in actual activity for Last Month (November) and intended activity for This Month (December) for projects you are responsible for. For reference, the intended activity recorded for November is included where an entry had been made (it is considered unhelpful to alter this to match what actual activity was :). It is acceptable to change devproj milestones as part of this process, however if you do please indicate that you have done so below, for example by adding a Change of Plan bullet point, so that the meeting is alerted to the changes.

  • Review/Update Submit Practical Submission System
    • November:
    • Last Month: Examined the code and decided that altering it to work without the concept of "year" would be doable.
    • This Month: Start removing the years from the submit code. I don't think that this will be completed this month so the milestone representing this has been moved to January.

  • Revisit Account Management
    • November: Put new server into operation. Re-package client side code and distribute everywhere. Implement account lifecycle. Start addressing data issues. LCFG component to manage server. Tool for adding agents, additional identities (if time).
    • Last Month: New server put into operation. Client-side code repackaged, will be distributed everywhere in next stable release. LCFG component written and in testing. Started generating lists of accounts for data cleanup. Account lifecycle work under way. Host id information from LCFG into prometheus in progress
    • This Month: Significant work required by changes to database. Continuation of data cleanup work. Continuation of account lifecycle. Building up to be in position to start deletions. Probable meeting to be called in early new year to decide where line should be drawn under current project.

  • Final Stages of Commodity WCMS work
    • November: It depends on what the meeting says, but probably not much.
    • Last Month: There didn't seem to be any record of there being any agreement as to what is still required to be done to get this project signed off. I posted to COs on the 26th asking if anyone could remember, or what they thought were the loose ends that needed finished of to get it signed off. I've not had any response to that email. Obviously I'd like to do as little work as possible to get this signed off, so can we please record what I need to do to have the project accepted as done. The "loose ends" and estimated time to do them are on the report FinalProjectReport-106#Sign_Off_Comments
    • This Month: I'd imagine not too much with the holidays, and it will depend on what the meeting says is required for sign off.

  • EUCLID Interoperability
    • November:
    • Last Month: This actually covers the last couple of months. Local processing and sync from the new feeds from EUGEX was implemented (Student and Course) including technical refinements to the generic sync framework. Also new supplemental feeds from BOXI, virtual support feed from old database system to new, as well as work started on the Applicant feed from BOXI. Documentation on Generic Sync Framework mostly done. We now have 7 distinct feeds (EUGEX x2, ESSMU (BOXI) x2, ADMIS (BOXI) x2 and one internal), provisioned through ~21 separate sync processes. Migration management documentation now in place for PGR and Duties.
    • This Month: Completion of Applicant feed. Completion of documentation. Final QA. By the end of this month all the mechanism supporting data that is to be automatically fed and sync'ed from upstream for the PGR/DTC Desktop deployment will have been completed, in place, live and the setup will be finalised (most already is).

  • School Database Revamp
    • November: IGS QA and Deployment (?) - primarily now just waiting on server completion and testing. Implementation of the new suite of PGR web reports. Moving onto next target deployment - requiring Duties Desktop development and functional process implementation (and potentially deployment). End user documentation (being done by support). Pull in data model fixes from proof checking.
    • Last Month: Less than hoped due to committment to other project work, inclement weather and end-user changes (including PGR/DTC split, change in priority of supplemental feeds and change in approach on desk allocation). Duty Desktop drafted, went through end-user QA, was refined and is now done and contains live data. Some role management refinements and new 3G roles created and assigned (for IGS, DTC and ISS). The new web client was deployed to the end-user for in service interim Duty record management and for further QA on the PGR desktop. Work still needs to be completed on server before IGS end user deployment. Setup of new user interface web server completed to production readyness, including LCFG component.
    • This Month: Complete server work needed for PGR Desktop deployment. Implement PGR web reports. Snagging list (remaining few high priority ones, start on some medium priority ones).

  • Software build farm
    • November: Daemonize builder tool. Web interface.
    • Last Month: Sorted out all the kerberos and AFS issues. Put together some LCFG headers. Finished daemon for processing the incoming queue, mostly completed the build daemon. Added a basic web interface.
    • This Month: Finish the build daemon. Write a component to configure the daemons.

  • AV facilities
    • November: Mediascape due 5th November
    • Last Month: Mediascape were here 5th and 19th November
    • This Month: Mediascape due Friday 17th December

  • inSpace
    • November: move all macs to inspace wire, get dhcp handing out static ip addresses and configuring projectors
    • Last Month: inf-unit routing and iptables framework, started patching dhcpd component to handle multihomed hosts and host information from file rather than machine profiles
    • This Month: finish dhcp component enhancement.

  • Improvements in mirror management
    • November: Try again to finish new component, rmirrorclient, and the updated rmirror component, and header files. Test that things work as expected.
    • Last Month: Unfortunately I spent little or no time on this. I have added some suggestions from Alastair to the improvements wish list.
    • This Month: I'm hopeful that as things quieten down for the break, I'll get the bulk of this done before the end of the Tird.

  • Redevelop User Documentation
    • November: Trawl current end-user docs. to identify and correct errors prior to porting.
    • Last Month: Started to look through current docs and port some to drupal (on tickle)
    • This Month: Continue to check current docs, ask for comments on progress so far, continue to port.

  • Implement print quotas via Pcounter
    • November:
    • Last Month: Attempted to replicate EE's printing solution - without complete success.
    • This Month: Continue with the effort. Note: I am not optimistic that this will give us what we want - see Report on progress to date, and I recommend that the various Plan B's be investigated.

  • Replacement for VMware Server
    • November: Capture requirements
    • Last Month: Captured requirements, started experimenting with IS service and KVM
    • This Month: Agree requirements, continue experiments and write up findings

  • loghost implementation
    • November: Install an up-to-date version of rsyslog on a test machine (either 5.6.x built from scratch, or 4.4.x backported from F13), and repeat the abortive loghost test with initially network infrastructure machines and then adding "develop" machines if possible.
    • Last Month: Built F13 rpm (version 5.5.7) for SL5. Unfortunately, it turns out not to be quite a drop-in replacement, apparently due to things being moved between RPMs. Simplest solution is probably just to write a basic rsyslog component.
    • This Month: rsyslog component (this would have been needed anyway later in the project); try 5.6.x

  • DICE F12^h3
    • November: chase non replies and fix remaining packages.
    • Last Month: started chasing emails for semester 2 software, asked soa to mail teaching list
    • This Month: finish up any software required for semester 2

  • Move www.inf to new technology
    • November: More likely to be ERA stuff over previous goals.
    • Last Month: This is where the bulk of my dev work has gone this month. I created a CGI to do queries of the Publications Repository, and the updated a DB web conduit so that academic staff web page contains a link to that CGI to show their PR publications. This was a sort of proof of concept, if Alan is happy with it, then the plan would be to generate a regular static version of the pages and link to those, for performance and resilience reasons. I then had to do some follow up investigations with "problems" with the CGI. Though they turned out to be problems with the quality of the data in the PR eg duplicate records, and non-UUN indexed records. The other chunk of work was installing a zope/plone instance on www.inf, and then migrating the development Graduate School to the new Plone instance. These were are a few Milestones on the project, which have now been marked as done.
    • This Month: Probably a few tweaks to the new student-services site on Plone on www.inf, but want to concentrate on the mirror project this month.

  • Prometheus AFS PTS conduit
    • October: Produce test suite then do further work
    • Last Month: nothing
    • This Month: Produce test suite then do further work

  • Review of AT3/4/5 network
    • November:
    • Last Month: Surveyed the current network; established function requirements for an upgraded network.
    • This Month: Issue report giving options.

  • Hadoop cluster
    • November: No work needed. Cluster sees more use by students, then continues as a test cluster for research.
    • Last Month:
    • This Month:

  • Course in a Box - EVALUATION
    • November:
    • Last Month: Discussions with teaching staff & ITO
    • This Month: Draft requirements document

-- TimColles - 06 Nov 2010

Topic revision: r20 - 08 Dec 2010 - 10:51:59 - RogerBurroughes
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies