Development Meeting Project Activity - 2010-04-07

Please fill in activity for Last Month and intended activity for This Month for projects you are responsible for. For reference the intended activity for Last Month as reported at the March development meeting is included (it is considered unhelpful to alter this to match what actual activity was :). It is acceptable to change devproj milestones as part of this process, however if you do please indicate that you have done so below, for example by adding a Change of Plan bullet point, so that the meeting is alerted to the changes.

  • LCFG installroot
    • March: poll for improvements, complete implementation and packaging, test and document
    • Last Month: completed implementation and packaging, tested for 32bit F12 and SL5 (except PXE)
    • This Month: testing for PXE and 64 bit. Document. Deploy for F12
    • Changed Milestones : slip by 3 weeks due to F12 project work.
    • Comments: Will finish for end of April.

  • Cluster Parallel filesystem
    • March: Finish docs, writeup and submit
    • Last Month: Nearly finished docs
    • This Month: writeup and submit
    • Comments: Will submit for sign off for May meeting.

  • Revisit Account Management
    • March: implement DB conduit; implement KDC conduit; configuration management
    • Last Month: implemented DB conduit; implemented KDC conduit; added configuration management; add private attribute support; added auditing support; added lots of tests; renamed lots of objects for clarity; populate LDAP directory using autogenerated schema; devproj milestones revamped
    • This Month: complete role expander; complete LDAP conduit; merge text file importer; complete roles conduit; start AFS conduit; bring up test server
    • Comments: Should know by mid-May how much effort will be needed to complete before start of September. There is currently no documentation for conduit writers other than code examples, although Craig is currently working on the AFS conduit. Plan is to run in parallel for a while before switching over. Support will need to be involved to go over changes for account management.

  • LCFG Core Refactoring
    • March : Add git support to LCFG build tools. Work on automating testing. Investigate object serialisation/storage systems.
    • Last Month: Nothing happened due to time spent on F12 project.
    • This Month: Add git support to LCFG build tools. Work on automating testing. Investigate object serialisation/storage systems.
    • Milestone changes: Pushed all unfinished milestones to end of April.

  • Future direction for the main Informatics web service
    • March: Well it depends on what the meeting agrees, either we continue to shoehorn the work we are doing in migrating content to Polopoly and the technical changes into this "review" project. Or drop/sign off this project and draw up a new one covering the work actually being done.
    • Last Month: We got the OK to shut this project down, so a report has been produced and I've moved it to the signoff stage. Also produced a new project Project 158 which will hopefully go to straight to implementation, as pretty much that's what's been happening in this project.
    • This Month: none, unless project 158 doesn't go ahead, in which case more www.inf to polopoly work. Mainly getting the DB to generate the required HTML fragments.

  • OpenVPN Service
    • March: Linux docs, and get ready for signoff.
    • Last Month: Nothing happened...
    • This Month: Linux docs, and get ready for signoff.

  • Final Stages of Commodity WCMS work
    • March: Same as last time, complete header files.
    • Last Month: none
    • This Month: really will try harder this month, as it is supposed to be complete by the end of april

  • School Database Revamp
    • March: Complete plan and interim documentation. Meeting with user support to go over core operational procedures for the new service. UI technology evaluation/prototype.
    • Last Month: List of tasks done (on project trac). Requirement clarification meetings with ISS/HR completed. Data model revision work started. Prototype UI client/server architecture and API defined (on project trac wiki). Role rationalisation work almost complete. Backend database auditing logging implemented.
    • This Month: Complete data model revision. Implementation of parts of prototype UI server sufficient to test delegated credential handling for database access.

  • Improve communication with users
    • March: Produce more posters. Open up technical talks to all informatics staff/pgs. Add "service promotion" to project signoff.
    • Last Month: Opened up technical talks to all staff. Added "service promotion" to project signoff.
    • This Month: Produce more posters.
    • Comments: Would be worth having small self-contained workshops on useful subjects (such as AFS ACLs, Kerberos etc). Add to things this project is supposed to kick off. [Action Alastair]

  • Forum Information Display Screens
    • March: Order and install first OneLan box. Final report not expected to change; submit for signoff after some reasonable elapsed time.
    • Last Month: OneLan box delivered on 25th March 2010; now in the hands of Bob Fisher and his student for testing and content generation.
    • This Month: Content generation by Bob Fisher's student. Nothing from me - holidays.

  • AV facilities
    • March: Mediascape to continue work
    • Last Month: Mediascape continued work
    • This Month: Mediascape to complete work, project signoff
    • Comments: Should be only a few hours work left.

  • Transition from NFS to AFS
    • March:
    • Last Month:
    • This Month:
    • Comments: Large group space is holding things up. Just created suitably large AFS volumes for now so we can kill off the remaining Solaris NFS servers.

  • inSpace
    • March: Finish developing component. finish generating profiles. look at cold fusion and spec hardware/software to replace ACE CDS server with our own.
    • Last Month: nearly finished component, finished profiles.
    • This Month: check with IS about cold fusion, learn to herd cats
    • Comments: Problems with users tampering with facilities they shouldn't be with consequential effort cost to ourselves to fix up. Alastair will speak to Jon Oberlander and Mark Daniels. Action [Alastair]. Tim will deduct effort spent from inSpace allocation. Action [Tim].

  • Wallet Implementation
    • March: Configure a test service, do evaluation phase.
    • Last Month: Configured a test service; started evaluation. The evaluation is taking longer than expected; a draft report is at https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/DICE/Project129EvaluationReportDraft2 (comments are invited) but it will almost certainly change again owing to questions about how/if the wallet should depend on Prometheus. Note that there is no longer an urgency to replace kdcregister (that is reported to now build against modern Kerberos), so delays in this project won't affect the F12 port.
    • This Month: Nothing - holidays.

  • Content Addressable Storage (CAS) Encrypted Backup
    • March: continuation of client-side s/w testing, stats analysis, etc,; investigation into network file-systems
    • Last Month: command-line prototype for mac; linux vm local server code; stats analysis
    • This Month: finishing paper for submission to LISA; code review, wrap up project

  • LCFG inf level port to Fedora 12
    • March: Lots more components ported and test F12 machine managed by LCFG
    • Last Month: Lots more components ported and several test F12 32 and 64 bit machines managed and installed by LCFG
    • This Month: Finish project
    • Comments: Work is now needed from Infrastructure (dns, mtp and ldap components etc), Services (alias component etc) and some Research and Teaching. All need to be ported to new buildtools (preferably in Subversion). This work will be tracked in the DICE F12 project.

  • Provision of new Networker server
    • March:
    • Last Month: Investigated possibilities for restoration of Networker service (restores only), reviewed remnants of previous configuration and disks.
    • This Month: Download and test evaluation copy of Networker for Linux from EMC with revived superloader.

  • Implement self-managed support strategy
    • March: Add check for compliance with Platform support policy to project signoff. Initiate discussion wrt what level of "hands on" support will be provided (at CSG of 9th March)
    • Last Month: Check for compliance added to project signoff procedure. Discussed level of "hands on" support at CSG meeting.
    • This Month: Create new project (for 2010 T2) to investigate install scripts for self-managed machines

  • Redevelop User Documentation
    • March: have first user meeting to discuss example sites, start familiarisation with Zope/Plone
    • Last Month: had first user meeting, circulated summary of meeting to user group for comment
    • This Month: produce proposed site map and circulate, start familiarisation with Zope/Plone

  • Development of a backup strategy for Informatics
    • March: Data capture completed. Begin analysis of data
    • Last Month: Very little due to other commitments. Milestones updated
    • This Month: Still aim to produce report by end of April
    • Comments: Prometheus work may hold this up.

  • Deploy TiBS to self managed machines
    • March:
    • Last Month: Changes to component assessed, initial test client set up. Milestone dates changed
    • This Month: Continue testing, deploy more widely

-- TimColles - 01 Apr 2010


This topic: DICE > WebHome > DevelopmentMeeting > DevelopmentMeetingAgenda-2010-04-07 > DevelopmentMeetingActivity-2010-04-07
Topic revision: r17 - 07 Apr 2010 - 11:59:11 - TimColles
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies