Development Meeting Project Activity - 2009-07-01

Please fill in activity for Last Month and intended activity for This Month for projects you are responsible for. For reference the intended activity for Last Month as reported at the July development meeting is included (it is considered unhelpful to alter this to match what actual activity was :).

  • AFS file system
    • July: set up test server
    • Last Month: test server set up
    • This Month: component tested, DB servers migrated, openafs-1.4.11 deployed.
    • Comments: Will move existing desktop DB servers onto KDCs.

  • Review of Backup Technology
    • July: Survey completed
    • Last Month:
    • This Month:
    • Comments: Instead of survey will in the first instance use TiBS data to evaluate and make some proposals for models for each category of usage and costs.

  • Improved RPM submission tool
    • July: Write architecture document and run new system in parallel with old
    • Last Month: Architecture document written and HOWTO documentation started. Running new system in parallel with old. Have decided to front the AFS cache servers with squid accelerators until confident that AFS cache servers are sufficiently performant.
    • This Month: As the repository structure has changed, need to coordinate deployment with other LCFG sites. Expect to deploy this month. HOWTO documentation to be fleshed out.
    • Change in plan: have decided to leave enhancements to rpmsubmit command until after deployment.

  • Review of user documentation
    • July: Holidays will probably mean not much gets done. Intention is to collate input from other C(S)O's and try to produce a final document.
    • Last Month: Some input received from C(S)O's; otherwise no significant progress owing to holidays etc.
    • This Month: Expect to collate various input and produce a revised document.
    • Comments: Some feedback received, will need to shift milestones.

  • Replacement of LPRng with CUPS
    • July: decommission remaining LPRng servers
    • Last Month: Direct printing efinancials printer deployed
    • This Month: Remaining efinancials printers moved from LPRng

  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail
    • July: Implement proposals
    • Last Month: Setup functional user "infsys" on staffmail to host the sysman shared mailboxes. Services unit and all other Unit heads have full ACL access to this, other COs still need to be added. Which highlights the difficulties of synchronizing our "group" information into central services.
    • This Month: Transfer the sysman mailboxes into staffmail and look at the remaining shared mailboxes.
    • Comments: About 30 shared folders between 5 or 6 groups. Need to get reminders about functional accounts being closed. Concern over how to manage ACL updates on central service(we do automatically at present), we may be able to fudge locally but not ideal. Alastair to raise issue with Chris Adie.
    • Actions: Alastair discuss automated ACL management for shared folders on staffmail with Chris Adie. [Action: Alastair]

  • DICE under emulators
    • July: Depends on holidays, but hopefully this will happen.
    • Last Month: Korin now using DIYDICE under VirtualBox
    • This Month: Adapt the DIYDICE documentation for VirtualBox.
    • Comments: Done already, should move to Sign-Off.

  • Simple server virtualisation
    • July: Will sign off
    • Last Month: Virtualisation talk is the final report, so can't sign off until that talk has been presented. This is scheduled for August 19th.
    • This Month: Present talk.

  • Cluster Parallel filesystem
    • July: Produce interim report
    • Last Month:
    • This Month:
    • Comments: Hardware is dying, down to last two 530s, so hard for users to test. Will re-deploy some old 750s.

  • Revisit Account Management
    • July: Complete LDAP export conduit. Write internal tree construction and role management conduits. Complete documentation
    • Last Month: Fix many bugs with introspection support. Completed trivial LDAP export - some refinement still required. Internal tree construction half done, role management in progress. Documentation ongoing.
    • This Month: Finish LDAP export conduit. Complete tree construction. Initial implementations of Kerberos and AFS pts conduits. Light 6 shows in the Festival.
    • Comments: Intention is still to roll out in September for start of session 09.

  • LCFG Core Refactoring
    • July : Complete test suite. Identify dependencies. Import code and dependencies into git
    • Last Month: Half completed test suite and identified dependencies. Imported code, but not yet dependencies, into git.
    • This Month: Complete test suite. Import dependencies.

  • Desktop Virtualization
    • July: Probably nothing.
    • Last Month: Nothing.
    • This Month: Nothing.
    • Comments: Ship open source version by default. Announce. Sign-Off.

  • Future direction for the main Informatics web service
    • July: Due to holidays, probably not much. We'll see what the early adopters come up with.
    • Last Month: Not much. No actual usage feedback as yet from the early adopters.
    • This Month: Meeting arranged for Aug 12 between main stakeholders in School web site and University web project.
    • Comments: Envisage 10 pages will be moved to Polopoly by end of 2009.

  • Develop power management solution for DICE desktops
    • July: Deploy on labs
    • Last Month: Preparation for lab deployment: Condor integration; Autoreboot integration; Exam lockdown integration.
    • This Month: Test deployment in one lab. Test Condor integration.
    • Comments: Can only be deployed on 5.3 so won't clash with resit exams.

  • Collaborative LaTeX System
    • July: Try and finish.
    • Last Month: Nothing - however framework for new client done and half the code rewritten in the new framework so should be able to pick up this work again quite easily in a few months time.
    • This Month: Nothing.
    • Comments: Unlikely to be anything done until after October so stall until then.

  • Package Teaching & Research Software for Fedora
    • July: Discuss list with Ross/Richard and initiate work.
    • Last Month: Ross working on one package.
    • This Month: Nothing specific. Maybe move to sign-off as main work complete, rest will be ongoing background work for a while?
    • Comments: Will now be ongoing operational work so move to sign-off.

  • Informatics Commercialisation Website
    • July: Speak to them, rumours are they are thinking about getting an external in.
    • Last Month: Nothing. Though one of their reps. has been shown the IIAB (inst in a box) and made positive comments.
    • This Month: Follow up their thoughts of the IIAB and the rumors mentioned above.
    • Comments: Don't want to be landed with content/technology we cannot support.

  • OpenVPN Service
    • July: no planned work
    • Last Month:Forum endpoint moved to new hardware.
    • This Month:Set up AT endpoint hardware, but will only move to it as part of overall return to AT basement.
    • Comments: Still to write documentation for usage from Network Manager.

  • EUCLID Informatics Enhancements
    • July: Re-poll to confirm all happy and no further comments. Publish final version.
    • Last Month: Published. First meeting of Ex-EUCLID group took place.
    • This Month: Nothing.

  • EUCLID Interoperability
    • July: Tip has supposedly happened now so will check our feed content is correct.
    • Last Month: Feed content looks fine.
    • This Month: Nothing.

  • School Database Revamp
    • July: N/A
    • Last Month: Ingres test server setup. Daily automated sync from production server to test server setup and running. Work started on building benchmark suite (using old version of TPC-D). Prototype XML-Schema for representing data model done. Conversion of existing Ingres data model into XML Schema as PostgreSQL compatible SQL. Automated processes to build schema from existing data model. Prototype XSLT transforms for SQL DDL from XML-Schema done. XSLT transforms for UI SQL (legacy) done. Subversion service for legacy/development created. Web site created for schema and subversion access and Trac setup. Some work on XSD validation. Existing user interface code base moved to Subversion, PostgreSQL branch merged in and other tidying up work done to productize. Initial tests with UI SQL from XML Schema done. Investigative work on Python/LXML/SQLAlchemy for DDL change based deployment/distribution of central data model. Prototype XML-Schema for permissions done including automated build.
    • This Month: Finish XML Schema representation (triggers, procedures and indexes). Finish SQL DDL generation from XML Schema. Deploy and QA PostgreSQL version of Ingres system (against GUI and reports). Productize GenRep , Conduits and interfaces ("daidb" account stuff). Development of PostgreSQL -> Ingres automated back sync for use for one year after switch to PostgreSQL. Completion of benchmarking. Further investigation into change based deployment of schema changes. Investigation of XML Schema extension and validation.

  • SICSA Database
    • July: Complete basic version
    • Last Month:
    • This Month:
    • Comments: Should be stalled for now.

  • Forum Information Display Screens
    • July: Holidays will probably mean not much gets done. Intention is to establish requirements for large screens, and produce a working prototype for the small screens.
    • Last Month: No significant progress owing to holidays etc.
    • This Month: Establish requirements for large screens, and produce a working prototype for the small screens.

  • AV facilities
    • July: Check list of work being done is correct.
    • Last Month:
    • This Month:
    • Comments: Mediascape in next week.

  • Moving kit from sites to Forum
    • July: Finalise machines to move. possible begin move.
    • Last Month: Finalised destination of BP machines. Begain planning FH decant to Forum and AT
    • This Month: BP decant, contuinue planning FH move
    • Comments: Move only affects Services and User Support (old CSTR servers). FH kit page almost done.

  • Upgrade Twiki
    • July: Documentation, plus live checks and tweaks as required
    • Last Month: added documentation to support pages, identified loose-ends
    • This Month: address identified loose-ends
    • Comments: put forward for sign-off

  • Progress TiBS to full service
    • July: Component written
    • Last Month: Made then remade RPMs for TiBS server and clients. Made server and client headers. TiBS LCFG component can now manage the majority of TiBS config files on a test machine. Almost finalised the list of TiBS config files.
    • This Month: Use spanning map to feed client sourced backup resources for non-AFS disk partitions into the TiBS server config. Manage the rest of the TiBS config files. Finalise the list of TiBS config files. Upgrade RPMs and LCFG component for latest version of TiBS if that becomes available.
    • Comments: Should be getting TiBS tarball from Terodactyl.

-- TimColles - 30 Jul 2009

Topic revision: r18 - 07 Aug 2009 - 23:46:35 - TimColles
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies