Development Meeting Project Activity - 2009-07-01

Please fill in activity for Last Month and intended activity for This Month for projects you are responsible for. For reference the intended activity for Last Month as reported at the June development meeting is included (it is considered unhelpful to alter this to match what actual activity was :).

  • Review of user documentation
    • June: -
    • Last Month: Published discussion paper
    • This Month: Holidays will probably mean not much gets done. Intention is to collate input from other C(S)O's and try to produce a final document.
    • Comments: Everyone to look at and send comments back on Ians initial document.

  • Logging policy and centralised logging
    • June: Should be able to get started. Going to look at current state of play, who logs what and produce a document listing all these things to drive what we should do centrally.
    • Last Month: Reading, and looking at inf-unit logs; evaluation document started
    • This Month: Still hoping to produce a discussion document for August, but holidays will slow progress
    • Comments: Documents are available linked from the Project entry

  • Future direction for the main Informatics web service
    • June: Announce to those users keen to try out early (ICSA and CISA).
    • Last Month: More work on the IIAB (Institute In A Box) skin. Nearly announced.
    • This Month: Due to holidays, probably not much. We'll see what the early adopters come up with.
    • Comments: Now announced

  • Collaborative LaTeX System
    • June: Re-write client script.
    • Last Month: Started re-write. About half way.
    • This Month: Try and finish.

  • Informatics Commercialisation Website
    • June: Nothing.
    • Last Month: Nothing. Though showed DJCR the IIAB and he seemed fairly happy with that.
    • This Month: Speak to them, rumours are they are thinking about getting an external in.

  • OpenVPN Service
    • June: Refine documentation following user comments. Announce more widely.
    • Last Month: Announced; 26 users so far
    • This Month: no planned work
    • Comments: Nothing now until installed on new server hardware in September. Would be nice to have a list of things we run sorted by what users might actually be looking for. We now have poster boards in printer areas - could use to advertise not-a-service things.

  • EUCLID Informatics Enhancements
    • June: Finish draft based on any comments received back.
    • Last Month: All comments added.
    • This Month: Re-poll to confirm all happy and no further comments. Publish final version.

  • EUCLID Interoperability
    • June: Nothing - tip from EUCLID to DACS has been put back until July.
    • Last Month: Nothing.
    • This Month: Tip has supposedly happened now so will check our feed content is correct.

  • Forum Information Display Screens
    • June: -
    • Last Month: Established requirements for small screens; got touch screen working with DICE.
    • This Month: Holidays will probably mean not much gets done. Intention is to establish requirements for large screens, and produce a working prototype for the small screens.

  • Moving kit from sites to Forum
    • June: Finish plan and circulate.
    • Last Month: Awaiting final destination of some CSTR kit
    • This Month: Finalise machines to move. possible begin move.
    • Comments: Awaiting decision on CSTR machines, still likely to have just one rack and less than 10 machines to move so will do ourselves.

  • Upgrade Twiki
    • June: Move the real server to the latest version.
    • Last Month: Version on wiki.inf upgraded to 4.3.1
    • This Month: Documentation, plus live checks and tweaks as required

  • Progress TiBS to full service
    • June: Discuss plan with Alastair and Chris. Package TiBS software as RPMs.
    • Last Month: TiBS packaged, header created
    • This Month: Component written
    • Comments: packae and header not being used on live service yet

  • AFS file system
    • June: Add a few bits to component and test thoroughly. Add monitoring support.
    • Last Month: Component written
    • This Month: set up test server
    • _Comments: Some AFS cache benchmarking to do.

  • Improved RPM submission tool
    • June: Procuring hardware (virtual server not fast enough). Benchmarking with AFS cache. Write architecture document.
    • Last Month: Equipment procured, AFS benchmarking done (now "good enough" for deployment but hope to improve in future).
    • This Month: Write architecture document and run new system in parallel with old

  • Infrastructure for New Informatics Forum
    • June: Completion of inSpace. Should be able to propose for sign off for August meeting.
    • Last Month: inSpace now handed over
    • This Month: Still aiming for signoff in August

  • Infrastructure for Appleton Tower Refurbishment
    • June: Nothing significant - waiting on completion in August. The Comms rack will be lifted at some point in June or July.
    • Last Month: With contractors
    • This Month: Still expecting completion in August

  • Replacement of LPRng with CUPS
    • June: Install test of CUPS 1.3.7 (as in SL5.3, currently using 1.2.4).
    • Last Month: installed 1.3.7 on test server
    • This Month: decommission remaining LPRng servers
    • Comments: Need to check e-financials works

  • Transition of Informatics staff mail services to Staffmail
    • June: Look at what to do with IMAP shared folders.
    • Last Month: Produced proposals for IMAP shared folders
    • This Month: Implement proposals
    • Comments: The proposals are on the Services Unit Wiki page - in summary will create functional users on staffmail and each functional user can have one or more shared mail box using standard staffmail ACLs for controlling access.

  • DICE under emulators
    • June: Carol talking to Steve and Conrad for testing.
    • Last Month: No progress
    • This Month: Depends on holidays, but hopefully this will happen.

  • Cluster Parallel filesystem
    • June: Announce to users for testing.
    • Last Month: Announced, producing interesting graphs
    • This Month: Produce interim report
    • Comments: Users have been asked to try out test filesystem, no takers as yet. Performance is marginally worse than local disks but substantially better than NFS. May need switch upgrades. Need to look again at cross-cluster with ECDF.

  • Revisit Account Management
    • June: Document the framework. Discuss DB syncronisation. Discuss User Support tool requirements. Bring Toby up to speed on conduit creation. Write LDAP export conduit.
    • Last Month: Migrated to git. LDAP schemas now managed via introspection. Interfaces documented. Discussed DB sync, and user support requirements.
    • This Month: Complete LDAP export conduit. Write internal tree construction and role management conduits. Complete documentation
    • Comments: Source code in GIT.

  • LCFG Core Refactoring
    • June : n/a
    • Last Month: Installed gerrit. Started work on test suite
    • This Month: Complete test suite. Identify dependencies. Import code and dependencies into git
    • Comments: Going to use Gerrit (Git based) for code. Some concern over managing test suite performance.

  • DICE client LDAP configuration
    • June: Discuss crashing further with OpenLDAP developers to try and draw some conclusions. Deploy into develop release.
    • Last Month: Minimal
    • This Month: Recommend project move to Stalled state
    • Comments: Meeting approved stalling

  • Desktop Virtualization
    • June: Deploy onto all desktops by default. Arrange tests on 745s (Stephen and Richard have seen disk I/O problems).
    • Last Month: Added to desktop.h, will be in next weeks stable release.
    • This Month: Probably nothing.
    • Comments: Should look at v3.0.

  • Develop power management solution for DICE desktops
    • June: In the next month I plan to arrange to test the component in at least one student lab, with a view to deploying it in the student labs for the next session. I also plan to check that lcfg-sleep does cooperate properly with lcfg-condor on machines that use both.
    • Last Month: Pending on SL5.3 being deployed in labs. Stable on current test machines for over a fortnight.
    • This Month: Deploy on labs
    • Comments: Need to do Condor part

  • Package Teaching & Research Software for Fedora
    • June: Follow up whats been done so far and create a list of suitable software packages that Ross and Richard can carry on working through.
    • Last Month: List created.
    • This Month: Discuss list with Ross/Richard and initiate work.

  • SICSA Database
    • June: Complete basic version to the level that meets basic SICSA requirements.
    • Last Month: Significant progress to next milestone but partly stalled as SICSA personnel ill.
    • This Month: Complete basic version
    • Comments: Anna has been off. Jon approved freeze of current activity.

  • AV facilities
    • June: Identify remaining Mediascape work and schedule a return visit. Refine documentation.
    • Last Month: Got proposed work from Mediascape. Scheduled to return in week of 10th August.
    • This Month: Check list of work being done is correct.

-- TimColles - 24 Jun 2009

Topic revision: r15 - 03 Jul 2009 - 10:08:14 - TimColles
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies