Minutes

Present: Paul Anderson, Tim Colles, Neil McGillivray , Dave Robertson, Alastair Scobie, Ian Stark, Perdita Stevens

Minutes and matters arising

Power sockets for laptops is being investigated by Dave Hamilton; Alastair will follow up to know the outcome.

Actions had been done, except that those present except PS had not added use cases. We decided that the main missing category was administrative use cases.

Action: Neil to add these, avoiding listing things for which using non-Informatics university systems is obligatory.

Action: The person who asked about URLs was Iain Murray. Perdita will mail him about the outcome.

Date and time of next meeting

Wednesday March 27th 2013, 10-11am.

Action: Perdita to book room and announce

Discussion of strategic direction for provision of IT to Informatics.

We have a pressing need to save effort from somewhere that we can spend on unmet demand (e.g. the development projects that we agree should be done but that repeatedly don't get resourced). We suspect we may be resourcing things that are less valuable than some of the things we are failing to resource. But which? We now have, or will have,

- a list of use cases summarising what services need to be provided somehow;

- a list of services we currently provide.

We discussed (a) radical change [e.g., abandoning DICE] vs (b) incremental change [e.g., turning off particular services that we provide but could get, perhaps with less functionality, from IS or elsewhere]. We do not have, or see how to get to, any realistic radical proposal that could possibly meet our needs, so we consider (b). Here we lack crucial information for a cost/benefit analysis, e.g. for specific X, how much would how many users mind if we saved effort by ceasing to provide X?

Action: Perdita and Alastair to get together to plan how to elicit input from all users about what services they use (and how much; in particular, where we provide a service better in some way than something IS provide, how much is the increment valued?), then to circulate round CSG for comment before carrying out the exericse.

Computing support for teaching (VLEs, submit system, etc.): what to do next.

Apparently, Learn will by now have been reconfigured so that it is possible for courses to have publicly available pages (with stable URLs?) If so, it will probably better meet our needs, and we should have a few courses trying it out in Semester 1 of 2013/14.

Future of local cluster computing provision (see attachments below, from Tim)

AOCB

-- PerditaStevens - 05 Nov 2012

Topic attachments
ISorted ascending Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
pdfpdf beowulf_power.pdf manage 21.2 K 08 Jan 2013 - 11:20 PerditaStevens  
pdfpdf cluster_usage.pdf manage 28.6 K 08 Jan 2013 - 11:19 PerditaStevens  
pdfpdf clustering.pdf manage 329.3 K 08 Jan 2013 - 11:19 PerditaStevens  
Edit | Attach | Print version | History: r8 < r7 < r6 < r5 < r4 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions...
Topic revision: r5 - 19 Jan 2013 - 19:20:40 - PerditaStevens
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies