Minutes (UNFINISHED)

  1. Minutes and matters arising

Not done yet

  1. Time and date of next meeting

August 6th, 3pm-5pm

Action: Perdita to book room and announce

  1. Start of semester issues: getting student accounts available promptly. Will shared academic timetabling make this easier or harder? Update on SAT impact more generally.

Shared academic timetabling: is not really likely to make very much difference to this specific issue. We discussed the current state of that project.

[All please correct the following: Perdita's notes incomplete: ] The problem is that IJP, being an entirely practical course, needs students to do labs in week 1 which means they have to have DICE accounts by then. There are various reasons why students might not have such accounts. The main one is:

- The students' home departments, especially Maths, don't register them for courses fast enough so they don't appear on the Euclid record for the course and from there on Theon, so we don't issue them with DICE accounts

- We also have PhD students (from other departments, I assume, or they'd have DICE accounts anyway) auditing the course without being registered for it.

- Sometimes our own students are affected, e.g. if they change into the course late. (Perdita's note: but I don't understand this; if all they need is a DICE account they should have that anyway. Do they need more than that?)

We would like them not to lose practical time early in the semester because of such issues. It is not safely practical to allow anyone who can EASE authenticate to have home directory space; that's too many people. However, it should be possible to get some temporary accounts that demonstrators in lab sessions can know the credentials for and hand out to students in lab sessions very early in term. These would need to be wiped ?after each session? so students would need to remove any work they wanted to preserve e.g. by email or on a USB stick. This is not a solution for the PhD students auditing; they need to continue to be added manually to the course as at present, but if there's a delay doing this, then they could be helped by a temporary account like the other cases. Action? Paul to ask Alison for such temporary accounts? Or did this need more complex action?

  1. In the light of factors such as increasing UG numbers, the Appleton Tower decant, etc., what (more) can we do to help students make better use of the software and other infrastructure we provide, given that they may not be sitting in our physical labs? We need to consider students using central IS facilities and those using their own hardware.

Action: Michael and Perdita to talk about what should go on the agenda for the next meeting relating to this, and about whether there are any actions that definitely need taking or considering (e.g. is documentation of existing possibilities optimal)? Also as background: Perdita to show Michael [where to find] the computing strategy plan, the recent student computing survey, and anything else relevant.

Action: Perdita to make sure we have a solution to how to get Learn front end pages done. The actual doing will probably need to be done by ITO staff. Talk to Paul re how to do this and to Neil about the issue of Learn permissions.

We discussed the fact that it can be difficult to find out what you ought to do and how to do it when you first lecture a course. There should be a " So you're teaching a course" page in the computing documentation. But what should be on it?

Action: Perdita to make a wiki page, and circulate the link to it, so that everyone can add the most useful links for someone teaching a course, and note any information that doesn't seem to be available anywhere.

-- PerditaStevens - 25 Apr 2013

Edit | Attach | Print version | History: r7 | r5 < r4 < r3 < r2 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions...
Topic revision: r3 - 24 Jun 2013 - 12:26:21 - PerditaStevens
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
This Wiki uses Cookies